Extensions - Chrome or Microsoft Store?

Microsoft

so if an extension is available on both stores, should I use the one from the MS Store?  and do I need to use the Win 10 Accounts extension to get SSO?  

56 Replies
It is a very good question Dave

@Dave Chomas - I would recommend using the extension from Microsoft Store as we have verified the extension before hosting. You shouldn't be required to use Win 10 Accounts extension for SSO as the browser should pick up your signed in account profile (AAD if corp machine) that should be used for SSO for all corp sites. Let us know if you are having any issues with respect to SSO.

I'm bit surprised the "chrome web store" is not the default one when opening the edge://extensions/ section since the Microsoft Store is really empty. I need to manually navigate to the chrome web store web page, and enable installation in the top bar. I hope this changes before the public release.

@Balaje_Krishnan 

We have used the Windows 10 Accounts extension to get Chrome to recognize machines as HybridAD joined for the purposes of Conditional Access.  However it appears that Edge doesn't properly see the endpoints as hybrid joined so they are having CA applied to them.  Adding the Windows 10 Accounts extension from the Chrome store doesn't seem to resolve the issue.

Am I missing something or is this just a feature that isn't part of the new Edge yet?

Thanks!

@Deleted - thanks for the feedback. We will take this into consideration. We are also in the process of expanding our extensions catalog in Microsoft Store leading up to public release (more updates to follow later).

@Wesley Horn - let me check into this & get you an answer.

why are you surprised? lol it's not google's product, it's Microsoft's so why should they give credits to another company? google's extension store wasn't populated overnight, it took time, so Microsoft's extension store needs time too and now that it's easy to develop extensions for Microsoft Edge, extension developers can release their stuff on Microsoft's store, for their own sake.

@Balaje_Krishnan Seeing the same SSO issue where "Windows 10" Edge is not prompting for MFA (using Conditional Access and condition is domain joined computer). Edge Dev is prompting for MFA.

I suggest to just add Google Chrome tabs support into Edge insiders...

For those, who wants use Google services inside Edge. 

@Danny Grasso@Wesley Horn - we are investigating this and will get back to you with more details as soon as we find out more.

Hello, how does an extension developer go about publishing to the insider store?

There is an "insider" store?
We are in the process of putting together a new submission experience for extensions to publish to Edge Addons store. We will share more updates soon.
Yes, the Microsoft Edge Insider Addons store is available here - https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/insider-addons/category/EdgeExtensions
That's correct. At present, Edge has support for SSO using the signed-in user's profile credentials, but this does NOT provide the AAD Conditional Access device attestation. For Chrome, you'd install the extension in question.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that this same extension isn't working for Edge itself, but rest assured that this is an area that we are actively working on.

Would anyone be able to point me to documentation on how to upload/adapt Chrome extensions to the Microsoft Store for the new Chromium-based Edge? Cheers.

@mendeley-matt - we are in the process of putting together a new developer spublishing experience for extensions for Chromium-based Microsoft Edge. We will share details soon.

@mendeley-matt 

This may or may not be answering what you mean.  From MS Store top-left. For Chrome, have to hit Learn more
GE.jpg
Brings one here, now, hit Chrome Web Store.
GE2.jpg
This may not be answer what you're asking.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

The Microsoft Store will not be empty, if that's what you're asking.