Export to Excel feature in Sharepoint 2013 list not working

Copper Contributor

When i am in a Sharepoint 2013 list with data and click Export to Excel in the top ribbon then i get the following message in a popup window: "To export a list, you must have a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible application."
When i click OK, it opens a new page in the browser with this text:

WEB
http://xx.yy.com/abc/abcd/abcde/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?XMLDATA=1&List={E8964891-47A3-43E4-9934-E7415AAB8528}&View={C54310C8-A407-415C-84DC-8045B5D8335B}&RowLimit=0&RootFolder=%2fITPMO%2fProjects%2fissues%2fLists%2fEmerson%20Process%20Issue%20Tracking

Selection={E8964891-47A3-43E4-9934-E7415AAB8528}-{C54310C8-A407-415C-84DC-8045B5D8335B}
EditWebPage=
Formatting=None
PreFormattedTextToColumns=True
ConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne=True
SingleBlockTextImport=False
DisableDateRecognition=False
DisableRedirections=False
SharePointApplication=http://xx.yy.com/abc/abcd/abcde/_vti_bin
SharePointListView={C54310C8-A407-415C-84DC-8045B5D8335B}
SharePointListName={E8964891-47A3-43E4-9934-E7415AAB8528}
RootFolder=/blablabla

This while the same action in IE11 opens an excel file with inside a data connection to the Sharepoint list that can be refreshed at any time.
I also found this post:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/SharePoint-Modern-List-Export-to-Excel-Not-Availab...

People say it is because Export to Excel is based on an ActiveX control not supported in Chrome and therefore not inside the new Edge Dev as well??? That would make Sharepoint users not happy.
Or is there something i need to change in Settings to make it possible to continue using the Export to Excel feature?

6 Replies

@Brownie71 

This is a great feature suggestion that may be added in the future.  Or it is possible it is available now.  Please let me know if you are still having this issue after installing any possible missing updates.

Gabriel

@v-gapart I am on SP2016 and experiencing the same issue. I am currently using Version 77.0.218.4 

@Brownie71 This has been true of Chrome since forever - one of the reasons we have to keep IE11 around. Hopefully the new IE support in Chromium Edge will help.

Not a graceful workaround, not a solution, and definitely a pain, but if you hit this when using Chrome and don't have IE11 around, right click on that page and 'save as' without renaming. When the file is done downloading (it's an .iqy file), click on it to open it and it will open in Excel and work fine - you can save the Excel and the query will stay intact.

@Brownie71 I have noticed that all of the limitations of Chrome in Sharepoint are present in Edge Dev. The only workaround I've found is to use the IETab Chrome extension available in the Chrome web store, which allows some of the features unavailable for Chrome users in Sharepoint sites such as opening links from a link library, opening files in a file library, converting lists to Excel, etc. The only one I've found so far that doesn't work is the Form Field edit feature, when clicked it says you must use Internet Explorer. IETab is a third-party extension so it would be terrific if the Microsoft developers working on chromium-based Edge Dev could add features to allow the new Edge to work with MS Sharepoint. At the moment, the same limitations apply to Edge Dev users as Chrome users. and only the IETab extension seems to help.

Good to know, thanks

@C_Benson 

This is likely to be implemented with the Internet Explorer Mode once that is fully added as a feature.

Gabriel