Enterprise Mode Site List, group policy, transition plan, etc

Copper Contributor

Hi,

My organization is starting to begin work on making Edge our default browser and using Internet Explorer only for sites that actually require legacy integrations. Now I am wondering if I should hold off on that until the Chromium based Edge is released. I have some questions...

• Will the Enterprise Mode Site List still work with Chromium Edge? If so, do you have an ETA on when that might be implemented? This is crucial to switching to a non-IE default browser as we have quite a few apps that still require legacy integrations.
  • What do you think the transition plan will be to remove EdgeHTML and replace it with Chromium Edge on Windows 10 systems? Will it come with one of the semi-annual releases?
  • When do you expect to have group policy settings available to control Chromium Edge?
  • Lastly... is there a rough timeline on when the stable version will be released?

Thanks in advance!

8 Replies

I have all the same questions as Benjamin, so I'm just going to poke this thread to hopefully get it some attention. My organization is also looking to adopt Edge as a corporate standard in the near future, but we don't want to dedicate a lot of time or resources to something that is going to go away in a year or so, i.e. current Edge. 

Assuming there will be group policy admin templates published for Chromium Edge, will they be more like those of the current iteration of edge or more like the templates that Google provides for Google Chrome? We want to spend time on something now that will require the least amount of rework once Chromium Edge is released for production. 

Thanks!

@Benjamin Dudley @Andrew Wasil Thank you both for asking about our Enterprise story.  We are working diligently on getting our enterprise features ready for testing.  Please keep an eye out for more information as it is released about what you can expect from the next version of the Microsoft Edge browser.  In the meantime, I have sent this thread over to the team that is building that suite of features.

Just jumping onto this thread to say I have the same questions, we have struggled with Edge and gone back to making IE 11 the defualt(welcome to healthcare and vendors who refuse to give up IE 11). Also hopefully the PDF reader is a bit of an upgrade since nobody wanted edge for pdf and we had to redeply adobe pdf DC. Holding off on using Enterprise site lists to see what becomes of this version of Edge. 

lol, I'm in financial services, so we have the exact same issues with vendors

Agree with this thread. The only reason people choose IE because its enterprise support. IT can manage workstations' configuration remotely. Less effort for them. Implementing this feature is a must for Microsoft product. If not, then they will go back to chrome again, because no actual different between new edge with other browsers. Browser's feature (like dark mode, reading mode) can be achieved by downloading 3rd party extension. I think, Microsoft should take only for rendering and javascript engine when migrating to chromium, but keep enterprise feature available.

Can't wait to see it happens. So we can force our customers to migrate from IE.

I'm still confused on this point.

We use GPO to define start intranet page and use the XML site list to fallback to IE for specific URLs.

So far it seems to me that Edge Chromium does not pickup those GPO!

What is the direction? is it supported to work or still on backlog? 

@Elliot Kirk - so excited for the Enterprise Features coming soon... any timeline on when we can expect the IE11 support?!