Ellipsis approach has to go!

Silver Contributor

The only way, in my mind, to go at this is use the thing most of the time. But, one thing is irritating during all that usage. It opens the door to, maybe, accessing ellipsis things several times through all that time.  Anyway, here's me not mincing words with some feedback:

This full page, changing pages, leaving where one is viewing or working for Ellipsis things is super-irritating, a nuisance & ridiculous.  One is going there for something that pertains to where they are/were and what they were doing @ that moment... but, dumb as it is, suddenly, they can't see both things simultaneously; can kill the focus one had.  Edge using fly-out panels for ellipsis items makes sense.  Switching pages & not staying immersed where you were is crazy & unacceptable.  The Edge MO with ellipsis content access needs to be left alone!

Yes, you're right, do feel strongly about this.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

14 Replies

@Drew1903  By Ellipsis do you mean the three dot ... top right menu of the new Edge browser?

@Drew1903  Or By Ellipsis due to mean the three dots ... in Edge Discussion topics & feedback posts?

Yes, Max. The difference between how Edge accesses things within the ellipsis and the unappealing method Edge C is employing.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from my Windows Phone
No, Max not, that.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone

@Drew1903  The new Edge Dev and Canary is using the three dot ... menu (ellipsis) just the same as the most popular Chromium browser Chrome.  If the aim is get more Chrome users switching to the new Edge then having the menu structure three dot menu (ellipsis) the same is the better choice.

@Drew1903  While I would like the new Edge to have some differences and bring a little bit of the previous Edge style to differentiate it from Chrome, so it not an exact copy, changing the basic menu structure of the three dot ... menu (ellipsis) is not a good idea as most people use Chrome and are familiar with the menu.

@Deleted 

Leaving/switching the page being viewed is sure not the better choice!  As was stated, simultaneously, still, viewing the page to which the concern relates, not having the focus change to a full different page, staying immersed where one is working or doing anything, DOES make sense... as it is, already, the sensible way it is presented in Edge not, Chrome!  Need to stay with the better most sensible choice; no, one IS sensible, the Chrome way is not.  The Edge way is more pleasant, prudent & productive thus, the proper choice. The current Edge C approach is just an irritation... not cool making a silk purse into a sow's ear.  Best to stick w/ the silk purse which the Edge approach to this is.  One makes usable (good) sense, the other (Chrome way) does not.  We are here to make "a better browser"... using that approach to this is/would be counter-productive to that end goal.  Cannot justify having something that is a foolish way of doing it.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Deleted 

Then, Max, (they) will become familiar with a sensible way of seeing ellipsis things, now.  Just think how happy they will be.  People are quick to like nicer, improved things.  Change something dumb to something smart and ex-Chromes & others will, likely, love it.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903  I am really looking forward to seeing the first beta build (hopefully sooner than later) to see how much of the previous Edge style & features are migrated to the new Edge.

@Deleted 

Just a wee reminder: This is a chromium-based Microsoft Edge not, a chrome clone nor is it wanted to be.  Anyway, the approach to ellipsis things needs to be the Edge method NOT, what silliness we are seeing, presently.  Point made & fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903  I personally don't mind which menu structure the new Edge uses as it is all new to me having used Firefox as my main browser. I am amazed just how much progress the Edge Team has achieved in such a small period of time to make the new Edge a great browser and my new default browser. 

@Deleted 

Max, I agree with you, except for this issue.  Ergo, all else considered (all the positives) if have to live with this switch page method, we will... but, it's, still, a foolish approach.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Drew I really like your desire to help make Edge the "best" browser and not just another browser. Keep up your work as a major contributor as we all will benefit if they implement your good ideas. Cheers

Well, Max, all I can say to that is a heartfelt THANK YOU.  I, also, in the other 2 MS Tech Forums where I write, try to pivot people to this Forum & to trying Edge C.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Sent from Windows Phone