Edit Saved Passwords Location

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I'm currently on the canary channel ( build 78.0.268.0 ), today I needed to change of of my save passwords, I went into settings under the ' Profiles ' heading. I saw the passwords option in there but didn't see any way to actually edit/change my password in question. Has that ability been removed recently or changed ?

David

10 Replies

@Davy49 

Hi,
It's never been possible even on Google Chrome.
however you can propose it as a suggestion to be added to the new Edge insider browser.
would make a great addition. :)

I have a workaround for you that gets the job done:

1. Type this into the address bar:

Edge://flags

2. Enable this flag: "Password import" and then restart your browser.

Annotation 2019-09-08 132920.png

3. Then you can set the import/export passwords to on which enables you to export the password lists, edit, and re-import them. the exported file will be in .csv. you can either use the installed Microsoft office Excel or just use the online version for the convenience, however it can be edited in Notepad too. so you open the .csv file, edit your password and then import it to the browser once you're done.

1.png

let me know if there is any issues with it, hope that helps

@HotCakeX 

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I also use the chrome browser..when using that browser it is in fact possible to edit/change your 'saved' password's.

For your reference: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6208650?hl=en

Have a GREAT day !

David

That article doesn't say anything about Editing passwords

@Davy49 

For your information, passwords.google.com is Not part of the browser.
it's a website Google set up for themselves.

as i said, Google Chrome has No option to edit passwords, neither does Edge insider browser.

this forum revolves around Edge insider only and the workaround i proposed is the only proper way to edit passwords in Edge insider browser.

@HotCakeX 

Hi,

I wanted to make sure that in fact the option to change/edit my saved google chrome password's was still available before I responded back to you...also I surely don't want you to think I'm trying to be any kind of a rude individual. Once you are signed into your google account..and click on the 'link' that was shown in the body of the page I provided a 'link' to : You can manage your saved passwords any time at passwords.google.com , once you view/select the password item that you are wanting to change it will let you change it there. By the way..since we are both windows insider's, which branch/build are you currently running ?

Thanks,

David

I understand,
i also just to be sure, fired up a Windows sandbox and installed Chrome canary but still there was no option to edit passwords.
Yeah passwords.google.com is just a Google service, not part of the browser itself, that's why i said you can't edit your password in Google chrome. such an option has never been there in the first place.
i do hope that Microsoft adds a similar website/service so users can go there and modify their saved passwords online.
I'm using Insider fast ring 18975

@HotCakeX ,

Hi,

First of all..I surely wanted to take the time to thank you for your valued responses to me, I'm sure you are aware that in our world today we encounter some people that are rude and don't care anything about other's..YOU are surely NOT one of those !! To be honest, I was in the middle of a chat with a microsoft customer service rep. who was informing me of a method to perform what we are discussing..I accidentally closed the chat session :( 

David

Thank you very much,
oh that's a bummer..I'm eager to know what he/she had to say

@HotCakeX ,

I have a question about a totally different subject, you said you are on the insider 'fast' ring, I'm only on the 'slow' ring. I've really been tempted to switch to the 'fast' ring..is it REALLY that buggy ?

Thanks,

David

It has its ups and downs, it can be buggy sometimes but overall it's stable.
I use fast ring on my main everyday PC. I've backed up important folders to my Onedrive and i can handle the situations that might develop along the way, without losing any data. i lets me enjoy the latest features with peace of mind. i also like providing feedback on problems and bugs. at the end of this month there is a bug bash going on in fast ring that is supposed to eliminate most of the bugs.