Edge Dev pdf open with results in "Save as"

Copper Contributor

I opened Edge Dev this morning to find it had updated "This is Microsoft Edge Dev Build 75.0.131.0"

When I followed the page's suggestion to test out the PDF reader using a local pdf, instead of opening the .pdf file, I got the "Save as" dialog box.

I've tried opening it from the Explorer window using the "right-click" menu to "Open With" and I've attempted opening the file directly in the browser. In both attempts, I continue to get the "Save as" dialog.

If I navigate to a .pdf file on the web and attempt to open it, I still get the "Save as" dialog. When I complete the save, the file has been downloaded to my Downloads folder.

But if I attempt to "Open file" from the button at the bottom of the page, I get another "Save as" dialog with the new filename suffixed with the "(1)" for a second copy of the same file. 

3 Replies

@MichaelA2019 

This should be corrected as of more recent updates, but thank you for sending us your discovery.

Gabriel

As of build 77.0.189.3 - just downloaded 6/19/2019 AM - I am still seeing the same behavior - I still get "Save As" dialog box to download the PDF.

The Edge browser did close and reopen after the update installed.

If I attempt the "Open File" on the downloaded file at the bottom of the browser I get another "Save As" dialog with the (1) suffixed file name for another copy.

Edge Dev still does not open PDF files.

@v-gapart 

@MichaelA2019 

Thank you for this, I was checking in Canary rather than Dev so I wasn't seeing this issue. I will make sure it is reported to where it is needed.

Gabriel