Edge C release date - going out on a limb.

Silver Contributor

Right now, one can run Edge C Betas (Dev, Canary & the 3rd) along side current Edge.  It is MY understanding that Edge C is destined/planned to ultimately replace the current Edge.  Should be no reason or need for both once Edge C goes GA. This brings up a couple of other 'mentions'...

(Some of this may, already, be known)

>> One does not need to be a Windows Insider to work w/ Edge C 
>> Edge C does not replace Edge, @ this point in time; runs along side
>> More than 1 version/level of Edge C can be run on the same machine (simultaneously).
>> Edge C can be run on Windows 10 & earlier.

Now, have seen people wondering about a release time for Edge C.  This is in no way 'official' nor, even, hearsay based... just my, maybe slightly educated, guess.  The Edge Chromium Project was announced in December 2018. The Insider (beta) Builds came available as of a few days ago.  1903 is about to drop so, that's gone... meaning I expect, suggest Edge C will be pushed out w/ 1909.  We could take bets or start a pool in regard to whether this turns out to be correct or not.  The time span seems reasonable to have Edge C ready to go AND often have other major products released in conjunction w/ or around the same time as the 2 annual Major Updates to/for Windows 10, the Spring & Fall Updates.

So, I'm going out on a limb & saying a Fall 2019 GA release for Edge C.  Btw, having release dates for such things in advance from Microsoft = "...blood from a stone".

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

18 Replies
Edge C?

@HotCakeX 

Edge Chromium

Or New edge

Or Edgemium

I can't wait until they replace it with the built-in Edge. when we call it Chromium Edge is like we are giving so many credits to Google while in fact Microsoft put as much effort as Google did in making this new Edge, if not more. Google is merely the project starter, it's open source so many people helped to get them where they are now.

@HotCakeX Historically, Google has done even less then that.  Chrome and Chromium are a fork of the WebKit open source broswer project that Apple started years before Chrome.  So in true Google fashion, they stole it and forked it.  Just take a look at the browser agent string..  The first part of it is AppleWebKit.

@Drew1903 I honestly hope that they keep the canary and dev builds going even after full release.  Because the browser, just like Chrome, can be installed and run from the user's contect (Windows Profile) there is no reason that you could not have the stable release version installed globally for all users of the PC, but had the Canary and / or Dev builds installed under your own context.

MSFT has been working for years on allowing two versions of a DLL to run side-by-side on the system, and I see no reason why you could not have two version of this new browser also running side-by-side on the same PC.

Wow nice info thanks. i think Microsoft's own engine, Chakra is original though that's being used in current version of Edge.

As in Edge Chromium.  An easy way to distinguish it from current Edge.  Call it Edge I for Insider if you like. Edge C prevents any confusion (w/ the original Edge).

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@RORWessels 

In the sense of Insider Builds, one can understand different 'levels'.  Same as Win 10 Insider Builds has 3 Tracks AND Office Insiders has 3... depending on how frequently they receive changes & how stable they are.  But, when it is a finished/released product and multiple Insider Builds are no longer being use or needing to be... how or why would there (still) be any scenario of running several versions simultaneously, anymore?  I can see reason for Dev & Canary both, now, but, not later after Edge doesn't have Insider Builds & multiple Tracks anymore.  But, certainly, maybe I'm missing something, here... :thinking_face:

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903:  But, when it is a finished/released product and multiple Insider Builds are no longer being use or needing to be ...

If Microsoft elects to follow a rolling update model for updating Edge Chromium (Google Chrome auto-updates quite frequently, as does Firefox), Microsoft might want to keep a Insider test group in place to test the auto-updates on a wide variety of platforms before implementation. In that case, I can see a need for continuing testing channels after Edge Chromium is released. I don't know how Google handles auto-update testing, but Firefox has a user-testing group dedicated to testing auto-updates before implementation. What Microsoft does in this regard is up to Microsoft. But given the complexity of Windows 10, and the recent history of updates creating issues, it might be a good idea to keep a testing group in place after initial release.

you don't know how Google handles auto-update testing? they have canary too and people can choose to download and test it.
it's so unstable though.

@HotCakeX  you don't know how Google handles auto-update testing? they have canary too and people can choose to download and test it. it's so unstable though

Thanks for the information.  I didn't know.  I don't use Chrome at all, for a lot of reasons that aren't relevant to this forum, and I've never bothered to find out how they test updates.

Tom,

I am a Windows Insider.  That program evolved w/ 10 being an on-going effort, so to speak.  IF, Edge was going to continue constant work behind the scenes w/ Insiders, sure, then, one could opt to work on those Builds (as we are now) and in addition to simultaneously their daily-driver browser, Edge.  Being open-source, this might be the case & w/ things being apps, really; it could potentially happen or be doable.

Otherwise, would be like the pre-10 days w/ OS beta testing. (Been there, done that). Meaning the betas are no more & new (GA) version replaces the old & is pushed out w/ the OS Update.

But, going back to paragraph 1, it could be both... Since Edge comes w/ the OS, it would be auto-updated AND a person may be able to, also, have & keeping working on (sending feedback) and running a beta version.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Oh sorry
you're welcome, it's good to hear you don't use it and i kinda know the reasons why. Android kinda got me tied to it on phone but if this new Edge get ported to Android i will be glad to uninstall Chrome on my phone too.

@HotCakeX 

Hi (whoever you are :)),

An android or iPone can be sync'd to Win 10, ever since 1809.  > Phone in Settings to enable.

Also, for a while now, the current Edge can be installed & run on an android or iPhone; do not have to wait to dump Chrome from your phone.  You can access it HERE :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:. 

This will not change.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@HotCakeX   Edge for Android is based on the Blink engine, as is the new version that we are now testing.  Edge for Android requires a recent Android version, though.  It works fine on my Android 8 device, but won't install on my Android  6 device, giving me a message something like "Edge is not supported on this version of Android."  I don't think that you need wait for Edge Chromium to be released if you want to cut over, but a caution:  Edge for Android on my Android 8 device syncs to my Edge Classic favorites.  I haven't investigated to see whether I can switch that over to Edge Chromium (Edge Classic and Edge Chromium store favorites independently, and don't cross-reference in that regard), so it might make sense to wait until you are using the release version of Edge Chromium and keep things as they are for the time being.

i know.
i use it on Android 9 and cross sync is not implemented yet
and what makes you think i didn't know that already? lol

@HotCakeX 

Oh, well, cool.  Maybe, it seemed you were talking like there was nothing, but, to wait for this Edge to be released for such things on mobile.  But, great ☺:thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Someone else reading these, may not have known & now they do, at least there's that.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg