Edge Beta - randomly crashing

Iron Contributor

I have installed Beta version : Version 77.0.235.9 (Official build) beta (64-bit)

Windows : 10.0.17134 Build 17134 (Windows 10 Enterprise - x64)

When I have installed the Beta version, I had Dev version installed as well.

What I have noticed is, whenever I lock my computer for a while and when I come back, unlock my computer, Edge Beta is missing from taskbar.

When I start Edge Beta again, it asks me to restore my session.

1 - I have tried disabling the extensions installed from Google Chrome Webstore : same issue

2 - I uninstalled Edge Dev version : same issue

3 - Checked Application Logs under Event Viewer and found few entries there but I am not able to make any sense of it. There are 3 sources of error reporting

1. edgeupdatem
  2. edgeupate
  3. Windows Error Reporting

( If required, I can take screenshot and submit, can't provide the log due to security reasons. )

I checked Apps section under settings and found Microsoft Edge Update - 1.3.107.15

I need help to understand what is causing the crashes to get it fixed by Edge team.

3 Replies
Hi,
If it's not a workplace computer restricted by an administrator, then I suggest you to update your Windows 10 to the latest version (1903). other people have had such problems with MS Edge and upon upgrading their OS the problems disappeared. it's a relatively new piece of software, running it on older versions of OS can cause unwanted problems.
Beta itself is more than 1 month behind Canary channel. (Version 77.0.235.9 VS Version 78.0.256.0)
the crash problem doesn't exist in Canary or Dev, eventually all the patches and fixes will reach Beta as well but with a 6 weeks delay.

@HotCakeX 

Yeh, unfortunately can't update Windows. If that is the case then I will have to wait for 6 weeks for updates to come through and see how it goes. I will reinstall Dev channel and use that as it was working okay.

That's good, Dev has been the choice of enterprise users