Edge Availability via Microsoft Store?

Brass Contributor

Apologies if I missed something, but is there any plans to release Edge via the Microsoft Store?  I really don't prefer having a bunch of app updaters running in the background, but more importantly, my wife and other family members have Surface Gos in S mode, and I would like to be able to install it on their machines without disabling S mode.  Is it going to be something where the beta versions won't be distributed in the Store, but the production versions will?

9 Replies

It seems to work in Windows 10 S, however I'd be interested in seeing it in the Store as well.

Yes! Microsoft, please add this and more of your other apps to the Windows Store (looking at you SQL Management, VS and Teams). Relying on individual app updaters is bad on the system, not to mention how more secure Store apps can be, just by being walled by the system.

They should (and I think they will do) package this new Edge as MSIX

I hope Edge and Microsoft will consider this and release Edge to Microsoft Store too in Windows 10, especially for users with S Mode enabled. This way Microsoft Store can manage the updates and opens up to users to even review the app and easily manage it like uninistall (if it can be uninistalled in the future when Edge UWP is replaced).

Even updates are not managed by Microsoft Store, still having to showcase Microsoft Edge in Microsoft Store shows that Microsoft still treats it as an important component in Windows and as Microsoft as a whole.
That's great it works in Windows 10 S - I didn't try testing it because I assumed only MS Store apps could run it. Still, though, I'd really like to see it in the Store instead of having it manage updating separately.

Didn't try either as I don't have S, but Zac did and left us a screenshot :)

@AmineII just tried tonight, and it does work on a Surface Go.  Nice that it works, but I wish it was distributed via the Store instead of yet another updater.

Yeah, its nice that at least there is at least an option to be installed on S Mode. For now this is perfectly fine but hopefully for public release, the new Microsoft Edge would be available through Microsoft Store, while keeping the individual installer for those who prefer those instead. On Windows 10, installers are almost not needed since it will eventually replace Edge UWP anyways I think. Only update is needed which can be done through Microsoft Store.
YES PLEASE. Microsoft, eat your own dog food, how can you expect people to use the Store if not even you use it? Where's the Store version of Microsoft Teams btw? It's just a webrender, how hard can it be? 5 minutes? We've been waiting on it for YEARS. I have a Microsoft Surface Go, I run Microsoft Windows, yet I can't use a MICROSOFT webapp on it. Ridiculous.