ESPN video playback issue

Brass Contributor

(I looked through the suggestions when I created the subject line above and none fully related to my problem so I'm going to post this.)

This only started within the last week or so. I'm using 77.0.197.1 dev 64-bit on Windows 10 with all updates installed. When I play videos on espn.com, the first 4 seconds or so is totally black and then when it gets halfway done or so, I get the attached error.

I've done an uninstall and reinstall with zero add-ins and still experience the same thing. I can refresh the page and play the video and not get the error any more, but the first few seconds are still black. The error happens at random from what I can see. I do have other tabs open but I don't switch to them while playing the video. I don't watch videos on many sites but it doesn't occur on YouTube at all.

P.S. Contrary to what you see in the pic, I'm not a Knicks fan or a Stephen A Smith fan. I just clicked on it for comedy sake so please don't hold that against me. :)

5 Replies

@ArkansasBen77 

Are you still having problems viewing ESPN with the latest builds of Edge Dev and Canary?

Thank for your patience,

Frank

@V-FRROME - Thanks for following up, Frank. It seems to be fixed on the Dev version. I don't use canary.

The only hiccup there seems to be is the first 2-3 seconds stutters no matter what I do. I can immediately pause it and let it buffer but it will always do the same. Not sure if related, though.

P.S. I've been 'beta testing,' if you will, Internet Explorer since version 3. If memory serves me correctly, there were two public betas, both featuring the 'new' Internet Mail and News. Then when IE3 was released in August, 1996, it was called 'Midnight Madness' and there were even t-shirts given to the first ones to download it. I never could complete it on a mere 28.8 dialup but I did get one from eBay a month or so later. The lettering glowed in the dark. Ha. Good times.

@ArkansasBen77 

Does this stutter only happen with ESPN videos for you?

That Midnight Madness event looked like a fun event that stressed out the server's bandwidth (lol), even people with 56k lines had extremely long downloads that night. 

It would be awesome to do an event for the launch of our new Edge browsers also, but being in preview builds still might be a little bit.

Thanks,

Frank

I don't frequent a whole lot of video sites. YouTube works flawlessly. I know they converted over to html5 video a few years ago but unsure what ESPN uses. Must be something they've done in-house. It's not Flash, of course.
The error message I originally mentioned (An error occurred during video playback..) does happen a little bit but not like with previous versions when it seemed to do it every time.

Many of the links on the Edge Dev Start Page that have videos work fine, as well.

@ArkansasBen77 

I'm using Edge Dev Version: 77.0.223.0, and not running into any issue yet.

It could be because I'm viewing the free content maybe?

Some of these flags might be able to fix the issue. Type edge://flags in the address bar.

encode-decode.PNG

Please let me know if a flag works for you.

Thanks,

Frank