Dev channel update to 80.0.320.3 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE 3:  320.5 has been released with the fix for Netflix not working.  

UPDATE 2:  320.4 has been released with the fix for the Task Bar icons issue.  The Netflix issue is expected to be fixed in another update tomorrow.  

UPDATE:  We're expecting to release a small update in the next day or two to fix an issue where users with multiple browser profiles still see the old Edge icon on the Task Bar, and an issue where Netflix doesn't work.  

Hello insiders, we’ve got some big news today!  With today’s Dev Channel update to 80.0.320.3, we’re officially releasing a new icon for all Microsoft Edge channels.  You can read more about it here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/11/04/edge-chromium-release-candidate-get-ready.  That page also contains a date, January 15th, which is when we expect to release our first Stable Channel build, at which point Edge will be generally available to download on Windows and Mac. 

Some of you may have noticed a cryptic update last week.  That was part of a series of puzzles that hundreds of insiders participated in over the past weekend.  The puzzles culminated in a surfing game hidden inside Edge, and the reward for beating it was the chance to see the new icon before anybody else.  You can click here for instructions on how to unlock the game, or just search Twitter for #FindWhatsNext to try solving some of the puzzles! 

With all of these exciting announcements, we do have a few known issues that are still in this week’s build: 

• Extensions that are installed from the Chrome Web Store aren’t getting automatically updated. We expect the fix for this issue to be in today’s Canary and next week’s Dev. 
  • The fix for the issue where Edge’s first launch leads to a blank white window didn’t make it into this week’s build. We now expect it next week. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Some users were still seeing screenshots that are automatically taken by the feedback tool turn out garbled or all black. Another potential fix for this is expected next week. 
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix. 
  • Sometimes the browser will appear to not respond to any user input (clicking or scrolling in webpages doesn’t do anything, hovering over UI doesn’t make it change), but clicking on certain buttons still works (like the … menu). The cause of this is due to an error in the GPU process, and opening the browser task manager (right-click near the window minimize/maximize/close buttons or hit shift+esc on the keyboard) will open a window that will allow you to end the GPU process, which will fix the issue. 

And now, for all of the new things that are worth noting: 

Added features:

• Added the ability for websites installed as apps to be restored when a browser session is restored after update, crash, etc.
  • Added support for an upstream Chromium policy that allows a user to remember a decision to open a link using another application (for example, to join a meeting in Microsoft Teams).
  • Added support for periods in single-word intranet URLs.
  • Added the ability to delete Collections items using the Delete keyboard key.
  • Added a dialog for when browser sign-in is disabled by policy.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where Edge crashes shortly after launch for some users if sync is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where right-clicking the back button crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where editing text in the address bar sometimes causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed a browser crash when updating extensions.
  • Fixed an issue where using the built-in abusive ad blocker sometimes causes the browser to crash upon launch.
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites like YouTube rendered huge, making them unusable.
  • Fixed an issue where print preview does not load.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes don’t load properly.
  • Fixed an issue where right-clicking on a PDF sometimes causes the tab to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to certain webpages with videos causes the tab to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows hang upon startup.
  • Fixed an issue where all Edge windows open completely white with no UI, but disabling Application Guard mitigates the issue.
  • Fixed an issue where certain DRM-protected videos don’t play.
  • Fixed an issue where certain protected videos like from Netflix don’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips don’t appear.
  • Improved the reliability of history and favorites items appearing in the address bar suggestions dropdown.
  • Improved the reliability of installation.

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where Single Sign-On stops working and users unexpectedly see a username/password prompt to log into websites.
  • Fixed an issue where two Edge shortcuts are sometimes on the Taskbar after an update.
  • Fixed an issue where Work profiles that were erroneously added to the browser were unremovable.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows open when the browser is launched even though they shouldn’t.
  • Fixed an issue where enabling Application Guard sometimes causes downloads to be blocked in non-Application Guard windows.
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience sometimes runs every time the browser is opened.
  • Fixed an issue where the profile Settings page has no way for the user to fix an issue with their browser sign-in when one is needed.
  • Fixed an issue where sync can’t be turned off while it’s in the “setting up” state.
  • Fixed an issue where certain UI buttons show $1 instead of their keyboard shortcut in their tooltip.
  • Fixed an issue where the favorites bar is shown when in full screen mode.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections content sometimes gets truncated.
  • Fixed an issue where Spellcheck squigglies appear in Collections items even though they aren’t actionable.
  • Fixed an issue where an incorrect image is used when adding certain webpages to a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the button to open the text styles flyout in a Collection sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where text styling in a Collection isn’t applied properly when using the keyboard to do the selection.
  • Fixed the text style dropdown when editing text in a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections contents sometimes can’t be deleted.
  • Fixed an issue where the cancel button isn’t functional in certain Collections dialogs.
  • Fixed some issues with the Mac Touch Bar when working with multiple tabs at the same time.
  • Fixed an issue where open tabs sometimes aren’t properly imported from Chrome.
  • Fixed an issue where extensions aren’t sorted by name on the Extensions management page.
  • Improved compatibility of certain websites with Tracking Prevention.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge shortcuts were created in the wrong location in the Start menu.

Thank you to everybody who’s been using Edge over the past year.  With our GA just around the corner, we hope you know that this is just the beginning of our journey.  The Edge Insider program and builds will continue even when there’s a Stable build available, and your feedback on them will be as crucial as ever! 

299 Replies
Hi,
the update is not available, still Version 79.0.309.11 (Official build) dev (64-bit) is the Latest.
The shortcut/application icons are still the Edge Legacy design instead of the new design. Are the new icons not coming until release, or will a later dev release include them?

@Basaingeal For me the new icon doesn't show in the taskbar or the taskbar, but it does on the start menu. The reason it does not appear in the taskbar is because it points to "Edge Profile.ico" inside the profile folder, which hasn't been updated.

EDIT: You can fix this by creating a new profile and deleting it, when doing this the ico file will be replaced with the new one even for the old profile.

@josh_bodner Happy to see the jumplist issue being acknowledged in today's changelog!

@josh_bodner 

• Sometimes the browser will appear to not respond to any user input (clicking or scrolling in webpages doesn’t do anything, hovering over UI doesn’t make it change), but clicking on certain buttons still works (like the … menu). The cause of this is due to an error in the GPU process, and opening the browser task manager (right-click near the window minimize/maximize/close buttons or hit shift+esc on the keyboard) will open a window that will allow you to end the GPU process, which will fix the issue. 

This issue has been plaguing me for weeks. This would happen every time after visiting a page that used the `background-filter` CSS property. Glad to see it being acknowledged and to know about a workaround.

@adrianghcWorked perfectly!

Adter update to 80 DEV Edge crashes on launch. Windows appears with "Edge closed unexpectedly" dialogue box and then the Windows closes.

Latest Win 10.18363.449

@josh_bodner Please make Chromium Edge scrolling the exact same as Classic Edge scrolling on multi-touch trackpad and touchscreen devices. 

Areas for improvement:

1. HTML "div" elements do not have the entire "Microsoft Edge scrolling personality" that has been enabled elsewhere in the browser. Meaning no over-scrolling bounce animation and also lacks smoothness.
  2. Zooming in and out does not bounce/animate when reaching limit as in Classic Edge.
  3. When running on Windows 10, the scrollbar arrows are still the ones from Windows 7.
  4. General scrolling is still too jittery in comparison to Classic Edge.

(And yes, these actually are deal breakers for me when it comes to using Chromium Edge instead of Classic Edge)

@Basaingeal Where can I find that "Profile folder".  I do love the new LOGO. 

Found it! 

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Beta\User Data\Default

thanks!

@Basaingeal oh, I thought it was a problem on my end. 

I've fixed the startup crash on two PCs by quickly clicking the address bar and pressing Enter before the browser dies. Hasn't happened since.

@josh_bodner

• Fixed an issue where Work profiles that were erroneously added to the browser were unremovable.

I still have no Remove button for this -- just Edit.

To expand on this, I set the GPO setting NonRemovableProfileEnabled to false. I still cannot do anything with the default profile. Its gets created no matter what with my domain user. I have confirmed though edge://policy that the setting is present.

@kqf_chris 

@kqf_chris wrote:

@josh_bodner

I still have no Remove button for this -- just Edit.

I think you need to uninstall (+ delete user data during uninstall) and then download it again

@adrianghc thanks so much for this tip!

@wigster Do you have Bing as your start page? On my PC Edge Dev crashes every time I try to open Bing.  

@Andreas149 No, i have the default new tab page with MSN news. 

Can you try clicking on the smiley feedback icon and see if it crashes your browser too?
The feedback icon is working fine. I also found out that bing.com is no problem, only other TLDs like bing.de or bing.fr are causing a crash.