Dev channel update to 79.0.309.11 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE:  We pushed another update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.11.  

UPDATE:  We just pushed an update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.7.  

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.309.5 to the Dev Channel!  You may notice that this is only one build away from last week’s Dev, and that’s because this is our candidate for our next Beta release, so we want to make sure it’s extra polished before we release it there.  However, that also means it’s a pretty light week this week in terms of notable changes. 

We do have one known issue right now, where Edge sometimes launches to a blank white window.  There are two possible causes.  If you launch another window and it’s fine, you shouldn’t ever see the issue again.  However, if subsequent windows are also blank, you’ll have to disable Application Guard in order to get Edge back into a working state.  We plan on releasing another update later this week in order to get us in sync with Chromium’s Beta, so the fix for that cause should be in the updated build. 

• Fixed a crash when logging into the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes the browser to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes after completing the first run experience.
  • Fixed a hang during the first run experience.
  • Fixed an issue where the theme sometimes changes unexpectedly after the first run experience.
  • Fixed some issues with Application Guard windows not successfully opening.
  • Disabled hardware acceleration in Application Guard windows to prevent them from hanging on certain machines.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages don’t open in Application Guard windows even though they should.
  • Fixed an issue where files that should be downloaded in Application Guard windows aren’t.
  • Fixed an issue where an extra “Work” browser profile gets automatically created for some users (note that this may not remove the extra profile; a future fix will ensure that).
  • Fixed an issue where the Mac Touch Bar sometimes doesn’t show the proper content.
  • Fixed an issue where the Settings page constantly shows “looking for updates” without ever completing.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings are changeable even when they’re disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings that are supposed to be enabled by default are disabled after performing a settings reset.
  • Fixed an issue where the Delete button does not appear next to downloads that have been blocked by SmartScreen.
  • Fixed an issue where the warning not to close the browser because a download is in progress appears even though the user isn’t downloading anything.
  • Fixed an issue where websites that are blocked by SmartScreen aren’t removed from history.
  • Improved scrolling behavior on the new tab page.
  • Fixed some issues with the PDF toolbar’s hiding behavior.
  • Fixed an issue where switching between IE mode tabs and non-IE mode tabs leaves webpages at the wrong zoom level on certain devices.
  • Fixed an issue where no sites open in IE mode tabs when a certain combination of IE mode policies is applied.
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips in Collections all say “collection content” instead of the actual content.
  • Fixed an issue where certain print preview content is hard to read in dark theme.

We’ll be back to normal next week, and it’s also Ignite!  Will we see any of you there?  In the meantime though, thanks to everybody who’s been using Edge and telling us everything you do and don’t like about it. 

134 Replies

@josh_bodner InPrivate icon in the InPrivate window is still rounded instead of square

@adrianghc Totally agree on the virtual desktop behavior. That's driving me insane since it started happening!

@adrianghc 

Adrian, it does not seem like you are mistaken.

Cheers,
Drew
Microsoft_WindowsInsiderProgram_Wallpaper.png

@DavidGB 

Hi David,

We'll see what Josh may have to say, but... I, certainly, do not have what you describe.  Please, fully remove Canary.  Next, go grab a fresh DL of it HERE.  then, re-install with the new DL.  Please, let us know if this helps, improves or changes anything for you.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Drew

@adrianghc 

Alright.  I admit this is the first I have heard that this "broke" recently.  I don't notice any change over the duration.  I'm sure I must be 'missing' something and that you must be right that something is amiss.

Cheers,
Drew

@SOI_7 

Same as Canary & Beta; at least there's consistency across Channels... just not from day to day :xd::cryingwithlaughter:

Remember, "Fun with computers"?

Welcome to "Fun with beta Builds" :facepalm:

Cheers,
Drew

@seancorfield 

No kidding, eh, Sean?  And being so used to how things are supposed to work, keep going to do certain actions forgetting it's not working right or not going to  ARrrrrrrr :unamused::sad: "Oh, yes, can't/won't to that, grrrrr" SIGH!  Ahem.  Yes, it's aggravating.  But, they do know about it & say they are working on a FIX.  Like you, I hope it is soon.  It used to be alright.  We had this, briefly, in 10 before it was released; that was fixed quickly back then.

Cheers,
Drew

@josh_bodner when i open the option window by clicking the mouse right button, the [view page source] doesn't show an icon beside it. also the same thing happen when right click on any image the [copy image link] option doesn't have any icon next to it. and in google images [save link as] option doesn't also have any icon. also giving the option to add custom image to new tab would be grate. including those small stuff will make edge look more better I think.

anyway love this browser, already my default sins the first week. waiting for starting sync with android edge so can use it on android more often.

@Ancgon @josh_bodner 

Actually, there are a few missing (besides View source & Save as) and Dev/Beta & Canary differ a wee bit.  Notice there are more in Canary, suggesting that evolution will find its way to Dev, et al in due course.

Dev & Beta
icons missing.jpg

Canary
icons missing Can.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

@josh_bodner 

Hello sir, the new update for Edge Dev doesn't seem to be working properly for windows 8 but the

Edge Beta works perfectly fine. The problem is that Edge Dev won't open for some reason unless I set the compatibility settings to windows vista but I use windows 8 which makes me very confuse and Edge Beta

works properly. How to fix this problem please because I prefer to use Edge Dev over Edge Beta.

@josh_bodner After last week's update, there is a strange black line under the address bar in edge dev. As the image show, my computer has two screen, the left resolution is 2560*1440,  the right is 1920*1080, and the black line only appear on the left.

批注 2019-10-30 101535.jpg

@DavidGB 

@DavidGB wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Just as a note for the next Edge Dev, Edge Canary has been seriously messed up and unusable for me since the first one after last weeks Edge Dev release. In Canary, every version since last Tuesday: (1) right clicking on a page - anywhere on a page - does not produce a context menu; (2) it causes lsass.exe to start running taking 11% cpu continuously; (3) closing it leaves two msedge.exe's still running in Task Manager and lsass.exe STILL taking 11% cpu, and Canary can't be restarted; (4) if I kill the leftover msedge.exes, then lsass.exe goes to normal 0% cpu and I can restart Canary, but with all the same problems every time. No Canary update since this started  a week ago has changed anything. This latest Edge Dev does not show these problems, just Canary.

I reported it with Send Feedback, but just thought I'd mention it here.

Hi,

try updating your canary if you still have it installed, a new updated was released for it few hours ago

Version 80.0.317.1 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

@Drew1903 

@Drew1903 wrote:

@adrianghc 

Fair enough, Adrian.  I believe, by design & intent, they are not the same.  This you, eve, note & say yourself.  But, each doing & offering what they do seems ok to me or IMHO.  I don't see or find much different than the familiar or to what would be expected, traditionally. Admittedly, I may be the wrong person as I hardly ever turn to Start for anything... I'm more concerned with having everything copacetic at the taskbar  & or elsewhere.  I have preferred using the Applications window since sometime back in the early days of Win7.

Cheers,
Drew

I think they should be, there is no reason why jumplist of the same program (Edge insider browser) should be different in start menu and taskbar, doesn't make sense..

@adrianghc 

@adrianghc wrote:

@Drew1903 I disagree, I can't imagine this being intended and this behavior is inconsistent with every other program or app out there (Chrome Beta/Dev/Canary builds may have these problems as well, I don't know). Not to mention they used to be the same until about a month ago when this broke (just in time for the last beta release).

I agree with you too, I think this is an issue worth fixing

@SOI_7 

@SOI_7 wrote:

@josh_bodner InPrivate icon in the InPrivate window is still rounded instead of square

Yeah, pretty much everything is square except for that button

@Drew1903 

Spoiler

@Drew1903 wrote:

@seancorfield 

No kidding, eh, Sean?  And being so used to how things are supposed to work, keep going to do certain actions forgetting it's not working right or not going to  ARrrrrrrr :unamused::sad: "Oh, yes, can't/won't to that, grrrrr" SIGH!  Ahem.  Yes, it's aggravating.  But, they do know about it & say they are working on a FIX.  Like you, I hope it is soon.  It used to be alright.  We had this, briefly, in 10 before it was released; that was fixed quickly back then.

Cheers,
Drew

Are you sure?

@josh_bodner Not all previously opened browser windows was restored when browser restart after upgrade. Only three out of seven windows.

@Drew1903 

Spoiler

@Drew1903 wrote:

@DavidGB 

Hi David,

We'll see what Josh may have to say, but... I, certainly, do not have what you describe.  Please, fully remove Canary.  Next, go grab a fresh DL of it HERE.  then, re-install with the new DL.  Please, let us know if this helps, improves or changes anything for you.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Drew

a new update for canary was released, it's no longer needed to uninstall it, specially when users disabled their sync because of the .316 issue, so suggesting that to them could make them lose data. instead better hold on to .316 and update it to 3.17.1

Spoiler

@Drew1903 wrote:

@adrianghc 

Alright.  I admit this is the first I have heard that this "broke" recently.  I don't notice any change over the duration.  I'm sure I must be 'missing' something and that you must be right that something is amiss.

Cheers,
Drew

I know right, it's happening in both Dev and Canary..

That's strange, though I've seen others posting topics about seeing the same black line out of no where.