Dev channel update to 79.0.294.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.294.1 to the Dev Channel!  It’s a pretty normal week this week, so you can see the most noteworthy changes below: 

Added Features:

• Added messaging to warn users when they install an extension that has the ability to change their search provider, home page, or new tab page.
  • Added improved messaging and reporting abilities when navigating to unsafe websites.
  • Added a button to set up syncing from the profile flyout.

Improved Reliability:

• Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes fails to load.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows fail to navigate and show “This page is having a problem”.
  • Fixed an issue where opening all items in a Collection sometimes leads to a browser crash.
  • Temporarily disabled Renderer Code Integrity by default to prevent situations where it causes all tabs to crash upon loading.
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud would sometimes stop when reading long words.
  • Improved the success rate of single sign-on for work or school accounts.

Improved Behavior:

• Fixed an issue where tooltips don't appear when hovering over links, UI, etc.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge opens in Application Guard mode when it shouldn’t.
  • Fixed an issue where the various sync toggles sometimes don’t work after signing in with a work or school account.
  • Improved the appearance of the Downloads shelf.
  • Fixed an issue where the option to open a new tab from the tab band’s context menu appears twice.
  • Fixed an issue where various sync toggles appear disabled even though they shouldn’t be.
  • Fixed an issue where the button to sign out of the browser is sometimes missing from Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where profile pictures sometimes don’t appear in Settings.
  • Improved the appearance of the Task Bar icon when using multiple profiles.
  • Fixed an issue where users with multiple profiles see a generic icon instead of their profile picture on the Task Bar shortcut.
  • Fixed an issue where Tracking Prevention reported blocking trackers from one tab when viewing a different tab.
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs sometimes are zoomed improperly when they load.
  • Fixed an issue where windows sometimes have a 1px colored line on top of them.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where keyboard shortcuts sometimes don’t work in Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where mobile favorites that are imported from another browser aren’t placed in the correct folder.

As always, we thank you for using Edge, and for sending us all your great feedback and suggestions!

58 Replies

@Spaceball_Seven 

That's rather odd, but, try using THIS.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Experiencing the same problem. I sent feedback already. Activity Monitor has the Microsft Edge process running 150% CPU for any website that you visit.

@Spaceball_Seven 

@Spaceball_Seven wrote:

I can't use the smiley face icon or menu to Send Feedback. Clicking on either will crash Edge.

That's really bad, try reinstalling the browser and during uninstall, when asked, choose to remove all data along with it.

because for these kinds of technical problems, a simple form is no good. the smiley button allows you to send Additional data to help them identify and fix the problem and also what is going on in your system while the CPU usage spike occurs.

Annotation 2019-10-10 114540.png

@josh_bodner 

Great work on the recent builds Team!

I'm noticing some high CPU usage in the latest build on Mac - my workstation was updated to Catalina last night so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also, are there any plans for a dedicated "Check for updates" button on PC like there is in Mac's "Help" menu? Having to go into Help & Feedback > About Edge for manual update checking is quite tedious.

Looking forward to future builds! :)

@CIMarketingVideo 

I'll stick my nose in & say something about the updating for you.  Presently, we are updating beta builds, previews, test rats, call the Edge C Channels whatever, but... once with a non-beta, non-Insider Build, it will not be manual or frequent updating.  Will be similar to Edge being kept up to date; it will be Edge being kept up to date (wink).  Consider, currently, there are 3 (different) Channels and 3 (different) rates of updating; that's no norm in daily practice with an entrenched browser which, Edge C isn't, yet. It's a work in progress, now and won't be manually updating after it's done & kicked out the door.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@CIMarketingVideo 

Spoiler

@CIMarketingVideo wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Great work on the recent builds Team!

I'm noticing some high CPU usage in the latest build on Mac - my workstation was updated to Catalina last night so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also, are there any plans for a dedicated "Check for updates" button on PC like there is in Mac's "Help" menu? Having to go into Help & Feedback > About Edge for manual update checking is quite tedious.

Looking forward to future builds! :)

I'd like a dedicated update button as well. the current system is taken from Google chrome without any changes. in the past Microsoft relied on Windows update to ship updates to their browsers (IE and Edge classic), so they should create a new system for the new Edge too, like you said a dedicated button for update.

I also think they should add a setting in GP to let us change the frequency of the auto update checking cycle. like set it to every 30 mins, 1 hour or 24 hrs. 

of course the shorter durations are better for Canary.

@Drew1903 

Spoiler

@Drew1903 wrote:

@CIMarketingVideo 

I'll stick my nose in & say something about the updating for you.  Presently, we are updating beta builds, previews, test rats, call the Edge C Channels whatever, but... once with a non-beta, non-Insider Build, it will not be manual or frequent updating.  Will be similar to Edge being kept up to date; it will be Edge being kept up to date (wink).  Consider, currently, there are 3 (different) Channels and 3 (different) rates of updating; that's no norm in daily practice with an entrenched browser which, Edge C isn't, yet. It's a work in progress, now and won't be manually updating after it's done & kicked out the door.

Even when the stable version of Edge will be released, that doesn't stop Beta/Dev/Canary users.

google chrome stable is released but there are still huge number of beta/dev/canary testers for the browse, they range from enthusiasts to developers and anyone in between.

most of us are used to more regular updates and I believe a good amount of people will want to still have faster and sooner access to the new features in Edge insider so they'd keep a Dev/Beta/Canary version beside the Stable version.

so my point is, a dedicated update button and an ability to set update cycle for Edge insider is a good idea. google chrome is missing this feature and it makes it double important for Edge to implement it as an advantage.

@HotCakeX "I'd like a dedicated update button as well."

What exactly do you mean by this? You want to be able to request it or do you want to be able to stop it? 

I only ask because, like Chrome itself, if you go to the About Microsoft Edge menu item, it will check for the most recent update and download if there is one. It's the default action in Chrome and I assume it is in Edge as well.Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 10.51.25 AM.png

I want to have a dedicated button so that when I click on it it will check for browser update :)

@josh_bodner I see others are reporting high CPU utilization on this build in macOS Catalina. I'm experiencing the same thing and it's with static pages. At one point I saw my CPU utilization by Edge get near or exceed 500%. I'm unclear the cause since it seems to just increase over time and I'm looking at largely static pages, downloading files, and not watching video/listening to audio from the browser.

Spoiler

@lindhartsen wrote:

@josh_bodner I see others are reporting high CPU utilization on this build in macOS Catalina. I'm experiencing the same thing and it's with static pages. At one point I saw my CPU utilization by Edge get near or exceed 500%. I'm unclear the cause since it seems to just increase over time and I'm looking at largely static pages, downloading files, and not watching video/listening to audio from the browser.

@lindhartsen 

Hi,

try disabling "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen" from the Edge insider settings

some people reported doing that will fix the issue as a workaround

Thanks for the recommendation. Tried that this morning and CPU usage is back to normal.
You're welcome, hopefully the bug will be fixed so you will be able to use Smart Screen again without high CPU usage :)

@lindhartsen and in case anybody else is still seeing high CPU usage, we had quite a few separate bugs this week that caused higher CPU usage, and we got a couple of fixes for some of them into today's Canary (301) that should also help.  

Hi,
It's all good here on Windows 10, but those on Mac experiencing high CPU usage was mostly related to SmartScreen, when they turned it off they reported that things went back to normal for the most part. Thanks
injania

@josh_bodner So after updating today, I basically get this

Untitled.png

I've tried uninstalling, re-installing, restarting the machine, updating windows and nothing works. I'm at a loss here.

Hi,
check out this page see if the suggested actions fix your problem
https://textslashplain.com/2019/09/27/aw-snap-every-tab-crashes/