Dev channel update to 78.0.249.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, we have a lot to share today!  In addition to releasing build 78.0.249.1 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel, we’re also very excited to announce that as of yesterday, we’re making the Beta channel available to download from https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com!  The Beta Channel will see major updates every 6 weeks with periodic minor updates for bug fixes and security.  We intend for it to be our most stable insider channel, so it will have a lower version than the Dev and Canary channels and lack some of the features that those channels have.  To learn more, you can read our blog post here:  https://blogs.windows.com/blog/2019/08/20/introducing-microsoft-edge-beta-be-one-of-the-first-to-try...

To mark the occasion, we’re also proud to announce the availability of some long-awaited features.  First, Tracking Prevention is fully available in the Canary and Dev Channels!  For those who need a refresher, you can read our initial blog post announcing the feature here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/06/27/tracking-prevention-microsoft-edge-preview

Next, form fill and password syncing is fully available in the Canary and Dev Channels!  Those of you who are already signed into the browser with your Microsoft account should see the switches for both Passwords as well as Addresses, phone numbers, and more enabled on edge://settings/syncSetup.  And if you’ve got Microsoft Edge installed on your mobile device, form and password syncing will be coming there as well. 

EDIT:  As of today, sign in and syncing is available for work and school accounts in all three channels!  Like syncing for personal accounts, there are certain types of items like history that aren't available to sync just yet but will be coming in the future.  To learn more, you can read our blog post here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/08/21/sign-in-sync-work-school-accounts-aad-websso.  

Finally, we’re beginning to roll out Collections!  For right now, Collections is only available in the Canary Channel.  You can read our blog post here for information about how to try it out:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/08/20/collections-now-available-microsoft-edge-preview

Some other new features this week:

• Added a warning message when giving websites permission to access a device’s location if Windows 10’s global location permission is disabled.
  • Added support for exiting full screen mode using the ESC key on Mac.
  • Added the ability for websites to detect when they’re running on Windows in S mode.

Stability fixes:

• Fixed a crash during the first run experience.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to a new site in an IE mode tab sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs crashed when opening certain URLs.
  • Fixed an issue where using IE mode in InPrivate sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where an IE mode tab that’s frozen can sometimes freeze the entire browser.
  • Fixed an issue where searching for apps on edge://apps sometimes causes the page to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where some websites installed as apps won’t load on Mac.
  • Fixed a crash when using media casting.

Behavior fixes:

• Fixed an issue where searching in the address bar sometimes uses Bing despite a different search provider being selected.
  • Fixed an issue where searches from the address bar sometimes bring back results from the wrong locale.
  • Fixed an issue where right clicking on some browser UI is instead treated as a left click.
  • Fixed an issue where the tooltip for the Stop button had a placeholder string in it ($1).
  • Fixed an issue where browser syncing sometimes gets stuck in the “Initialization” state.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the theme selection dropdown in Settings didn’t work.
  • Changed the keyboard combination to open the More menu (…) on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where screenshots weren’t able to be sent alongside feedback.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling websites that were installed as apps from the Start Menu doesn’t remove them from the edge://apps page.
  • Fixed an issue where opening PDF files using Application Guard sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs would sometimes prevent the window they’re in from being closed.
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs sometimes don’t have their content sized properly when the tab first loads.
  • Fixed an issue where using Read Aloud sometimes causes webpage content to move unexpectedly.
  • Fixed an issue where the link to manage favorites opens in the current tab instead of a new one.
  • Changed management policies to apply to all installed channels on Mac instead of targeting individual channels.

As always, we appreciate all the feedback you give us, and we hope you try out the Beta Channel and tell us what you think! 

78 Replies
Thanks will try this after reboot and reinstall test. Wonder if we can turn that off once we get it opened in the FLAGS? :)
I used to sign in with my personal account, but after yesterday's update, I noticed a syn error with my account. So I signed out as it's suggested, but when I tried to sign back in with my personal account, then the sign in window take minutes to pop up but keep spinning, haven't been able to sign in since. However, now my company account works now.

@Mark Heath that worked... does taht mean there was a corrupt profile hanging around? Where are these stored?

@Keith_Williams hmmm... no... take away the --disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity, and it reverts to broken.

Dev Channel Edge broke when opening today, most likely after an update. No longer able to connect to the internet with it. Cannot even send a feedback.
Canary Chanel broke about a week ago, thought might get resolved, but since it doesn't seem to have any connection with outside world, doubt there's an update that will come to fix it.
I've uninstalled and re-installed it with the same problem.
Thanks and everything back to normal.

Just did a check and looks like earlier this month chrome canary build also appeared the same issue (and workaround).

Edge supposed to use a stable chromium build which doesn’t have this issue but don’t know why still occurs.
Beautiful button!

same issue here on my work computer. browser just went stone cold dead..no buttons working, all the extensions crashing. Still working fine on my laptop,tho

Are you running a 32bit version of Edge? Try Win+R:

msedge.exe --disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity

If that fixes you, then the bugfix is known and just waiting for the next push.
The --disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity flag is not stored on the edge://flags page, and as a consequence you need to set it each time until the fix lands.

If you're on 32bit, then the fix is known and on its way soon.
If you're running an outdated version of Symantec security products, you'll need to update to the latest version.

If neither of these apply, please visit Edge://conflicts and copy the data out into a reply.
Are you running a 32bit version of Edge? Try Win+R:

If that fixes you, then the bugfix is known and just waiting for the next push.

@Eric_Lawrence thanks and it works. Just FYI, I am using Windows 10 64 bit and Edge Dev also 64 bit version.

Same case.

I was using Edge Dev fine until I do Windows Update yesterday. Then today I found "Dev channel" show "This page is having a problem", even for edge://settings.

Thanks. If you're using 64bit, that means that there's some software on your computer which is injecting itself into the browser. An old version of Symantec's security product was doing that; would you happen to be using it?

If not, if you could visit edge://conflicts and copy the data to a text file to share, we can investigate further.

thanks again!

@josh_bodner 

So, can you please fix the DHCP issues with Edge so  I can properly cast Amazon Prime to my Chromecast Ultra? It's getting irksome that I can't use a core feature of Chromium with this new Edge Browser and DHCP is pretty much necessary for all functions revolving around paid for content providers like Hulu and Netflix.

@Eric_Lawrence I'm running 64bit. Here's a video clip of what happens when i open edge. Edge://conflicts doesn't open since there's absolutely no response to any clicks or actions in the browser. Ran msedge.exe --disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity but again same result.

https://vimeo.com/355484584

@Eric_Lawrence Edge://conflicts will not open anything other than the same page 'this page is having trouble'.

We are running a Symantec version, on Windows 10 Pro 1809 64Bit... 

Symantec version is: Version 14 (14.0 RU1 MP1) build (14.0.3876.110) - which appears to be nearly 2 years old!!! Hmmm...!

@josh_bodner 

I like to see Edge going forward and I use it regularly in business and at home, usually without any problems in my use cases.

But for use as standard browser in our company there is one showstopper: We have one extension provided by an cooperative for their members for Chrome via Chrome Web Store. At the moment we use Chrome as standard browser and I can force the installation of this extension for our employees via GPO - but not in Edge (copied settings from Google Chrome ADMX to Edge ADMX).

This extension can't be found in Chrome Web Store via manual search, so this is the only way to do it.

Please add the feature to force install of extensions from Chrome Web Store too.

@Eric_Lawrence 

thank you for your fast response. I have to admit, in the end it was my fault. While processing your request for details I found out that the policy definitions work fine and there was a problem with deploying the latest version of the policies to the workstations. Thank you for guiding me in the right direction.

I tried it on several workstations and our terminal server farm and it works now.

Can you provide specific details? Are you using this policy? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-policies#extensioninstallforcelist

If so, could you supply more details (screenshot, registry details, etc)? I'm presently using this mechanism (via direct registry write) today but I haven't tried the ADMX.
For clarity, to get to chrome://conflicts when a "code-injecting" piece of software is installed, you'll need to run

https://crbug.com/993099

notes specifically that Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.0.3929.1200 is known to be problematic. It does not mention earlier versions, but it seems plausible that they're also causing problems.