Dev channel update to 78.0.249.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, we have a lot to share today!  In addition to releasing build 78.0.249.1 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel, we’re also very excited to announce that as of yesterday, we’re making the Beta channel available to download from https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com!  The Beta Channel will see major updates every 6 weeks with periodic minor updates for bug fixes and security.  We intend for it to be our most stable insider channel, so it will have a lower version than the Dev and Canary channels and lack some of the features that those channels have.  To learn more, you can read our blog post here:  https://blogs.windows.com/blog/2019/08/20/introducing-microsoft-edge-beta-be-one-of-the-first-to-try...

To mark the occasion, we’re also proud to announce the availability of some long-awaited features.  First, Tracking Prevention is fully available in the Canary and Dev Channels!  For those who need a refresher, you can read our initial blog post announcing the feature here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/06/27/tracking-prevention-microsoft-edge-preview

Next, form fill and password syncing is fully available in the Canary and Dev Channels!  Those of you who are already signed into the browser with your Microsoft account should see the switches for both Passwords as well as Addresses, phone numbers, and more enabled on edge://settings/syncSetup.  And if you’ve got Microsoft Edge installed on your mobile device, form and password syncing will be coming there as well. 

EDIT:  As of today, sign in and syncing is available for work and school accounts in all three channels!  Like syncing for personal accounts, there are certain types of items like history that aren't available to sync just yet but will be coming in the future.  To learn more, you can read our blog post here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/08/21/sign-in-sync-work-school-accounts-aad-websso.  

Finally, we’re beginning to roll out Collections!  For right now, Collections is only available in the Canary Channel.  You can read our blog post here for information about how to try it out:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/08/20/collections-now-available-microsoft-edge-preview

Some other new features this week:

• Added a warning message when giving websites permission to access a device’s location if Windows 10’s global location permission is disabled.
  • Added support for exiting full screen mode using the ESC key on Mac.
  • Added the ability for websites to detect when they’re running on Windows in S mode.

Stability fixes:

• Fixed a crash during the first run experience.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to a new site in an IE mode tab sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs crashed when opening certain URLs.
  • Fixed an issue where using IE mode in InPrivate sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where an IE mode tab that’s frozen can sometimes freeze the entire browser.
  • Fixed an issue where searching for apps on edge://apps sometimes causes the page to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where some websites installed as apps won’t load on Mac.
  • Fixed a crash when using media casting.

Behavior fixes:

• Fixed an issue where searching in the address bar sometimes uses Bing despite a different search provider being selected.
  • Fixed an issue where searches from the address bar sometimes bring back results from the wrong locale.
  • Fixed an issue where right clicking on some browser UI is instead treated as a left click.
  • Fixed an issue where the tooltip for the Stop button had a placeholder string in it ($1).
  • Fixed an issue where browser syncing sometimes gets stuck in the “Initialization” state.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the theme selection dropdown in Settings didn’t work.
  • Changed the keyboard combination to open the More menu (…) on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where screenshots weren’t able to be sent alongside feedback.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling websites that were installed as apps from the Start Menu doesn’t remove them from the edge://apps page.
  • Fixed an issue where opening PDF files using Application Guard sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs would sometimes prevent the window they’re in from being closed.
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs sometimes don’t have their content sized properly when the tab first loads.
  • Fixed an issue where using Read Aloud sometimes causes webpage content to move unexpectedly.
  • Fixed an issue where the link to manage favorites opens in the current tab instead of a new one.
  • Changed management policies to apply to all installed channels on Mac instead of targeting individual channels.

As always, we appreciate all the feedback you give us, and we hope you try out the Beta Channel and tell us what you think! 

78 Replies

@josh_bodner Hello, on the chrome webstore, pages crash like 50% of the time. So it's hard to install extensions. And if you get a crash while installing, you need to restart the browser to be able to install it again. 

@josh_bodner I love the new "Global Media Controls" icon.

However - it's a little weird because the icon isn't there when the browser is opened (which is fine), it then shows-up when media is played (also fine) but then when the tab playing the media is closed - the icon stays.  I'm feeling that the icon should vanish when the tab playing the media is closed.  Other than that, keep up the great work!

@josh_bodner I was having a rather unimportant issue with windows today but chose to do a "System Restore" anyway.

The Restore Point was an (automatic) "install" restore point from the upgrade to 249.1 and the only "affected program" listed was a regression from Dev 249.1 back to 244.0 

After the "System Restore" Edge Dev was rendered totally useless.  Wouldn't execute at all.  I reversed the "System Restore" and everything was fine again.  Short version: there may be an issue with Edge Dev working after "System Restore" but I obviously haven't (and won't) be doing any further testing on my system! 

Thx for adding Polish language support. :)

@zhangchi1979 

Try running it in Windows 8 compatibility mode (right-click shortcut > compatibility > run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8).

I have the same problem and this workaround fixes it for me. The problem is that I have to set that flag every time I close the browser and want to run it again.

@josh_bodner 

Good to see that Swedish language now works!

Very pleased with Edge Dev so far.

Standard browser for now Win 10 1903.

same here, completely broken for me too

@josh_bodner 

I have gone through all the setting menus and checked translations to Swedish.

There is one miss under start, "Open new tab" is not translated in Swedish.

Everything else is OK.

Try running it in Windows 8 compatibility mode (right-click shortcut > compatibility > run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8).

I have the same problem and this workaround fixes it for me. The problem is that I have to set that flag every time I close the browser and want to run it again.

I updated to latest version over night, and now it will load no pages... I keep getting 'This page is having a problem'... I've installed the Beta, but it a 6 month cycle...

Anything I can do to fix Dev Edge correctly?

@josh_bodner 

Still waiting for total sync to switch all my devices to the same browser, but even with that there is no edge app based on chromium available on smartphones.

@zhangchi1979 @josh_bodner having the same issue with DEV version where you launch and all extensions crash.  You cannot navigate any pages or open Settings, Help & About, etc.  So this version is completely useless to use.  Sticking to BETA release until this is fixed or a new build is uploaded.

Yes there is. The present Edge Android browser (probably iOS one as well) is based on chromium since its release.
A simple uninstall-reinstall would solve your problem. I'm not facing any of those issue.
It might be worth investigation in a couple of places:
1) if there is more than 1 folder with Edge version as name in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application"
2) clsoing edge (double check task manager) then rename the Default folder to Default.bak from "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data" and launch edge. This will remove your profile and user added extensions and you can start over. To restore your previous profile just delete the newly created Default folder and rename the Default.bak one back to Default.
Alas, none of those work. See my earlier replies for a temporary workaround. It's a problem with the browser itself, not the installation data.
Sorry, but if it's a browser issue per se it would have happen to many others. For me it's working as expected.
But who knows...

@Chris Childerhose i have two machines in front of me... i updated both to latest Dev Edge build... one works, the other doesn't... they were synced, with the same extensions... so it might be environmental.

I just did an uninstall and selected the box to remove data. So none of the folders are there as per the reply to my post. So will try installing again and see if the browser works.

As per above -

A simple uninstall-reinstall would solve your problem. I'm not facing any of those issue.
It might be worth investigation in a couple of places:
1) if there is more than 1 folder with Edge version as name in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application"
2) clsoing edge (double check task manager) then rename the Default folder to Default.bak from "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data" and launch edge. This will remove your profile and user added extensions and you can start over. To restore your previous profile just delete the newly created Default folder and rename the Default.bak one back to Default.

@Deleted @josh_bodner well did an uninstall and searched for the directories noted.  I did not find any of them so installed browser again - still same problem no pages load.  Extensions are gone but cannot access Extensions, Settings, etc.  So there is some environmental issue.

I just had the latest Cumulative Update for the Release Preview ring for Win10 push out so will reboot and try things again to see with the steps noted.

There is a workaround - launch with the following command line switch:
--disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity