Dev channel update to 78.0.249.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, we have a lot to share today!  In addition to releasing build 78.0.249.1 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel, we’re also very excited to announce that as of yesterday, we’re making the Beta channel available to download from https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com!  The Beta Channel will see major updates every 6 weeks with periodic minor updates for bug fixes and security.  We intend for it to be our most stable insider channel, so it will have a lower version than the Dev and Canary channels and lack some of the features that those channels have.  To learn more, you can read our blog post here:  https://blogs.windows.com/blog/2019/08/20/introducing-microsoft-edge-beta-be-one-of-the-first-to-try...

To mark the occasion, we’re also proud to announce the availability of some long-awaited features.  First, Tracking Prevention is fully available in the Canary and Dev Channels!  For those who need a refresher, you can read our initial blog post announcing the feature here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/06/27/tracking-prevention-microsoft-edge-preview

Next, form fill and password syncing is fully available in the Canary and Dev Channels!  Those of you who are already signed into the browser with your Microsoft account should see the switches for both Passwords as well as Addresses, phone numbers, and more enabled on edge://settings/syncSetup.  And if you’ve got Microsoft Edge installed on your mobile device, form and password syncing will be coming there as well. 

EDIT:  As of today, sign in and syncing is available for work and school accounts in all three channels!  Like syncing for personal accounts, there are certain types of items like history that aren't available to sync just yet but will be coming in the future.  To learn more, you can read our blog post here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/08/21/sign-in-sync-work-school-accounts-aad-websso.  

Finally, we’re beginning to roll out Collections!  For right now, Collections is only available in the Canary Channel.  You can read our blog post here for information about how to try it out:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/08/20/collections-now-available-microsoft-edge-preview

Some other new features this week:

• Added a warning message when giving websites permission to access a device’s location if Windows 10’s global location permission is disabled.
  • Added support for exiting full screen mode using the ESC key on Mac.
  • Added the ability for websites to detect when they’re running on Windows in S mode.

Stability fixes:

• Fixed a crash during the first run experience.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to a new site in an IE mode tab sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs crashed when opening certain URLs.
  • Fixed an issue where using IE mode in InPrivate sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where an IE mode tab that’s frozen can sometimes freeze the entire browser.
  • Fixed an issue where searching for apps on edge://apps sometimes causes the page to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where some websites installed as apps won’t load on Mac.
  • Fixed a crash when using media casting.

Behavior fixes:

• Fixed an issue where searching in the address bar sometimes uses Bing despite a different search provider being selected.
  • Fixed an issue where searches from the address bar sometimes bring back results from the wrong locale.
  • Fixed an issue where right clicking on some browser UI is instead treated as a left click.
  • Fixed an issue where the tooltip for the Stop button had a placeholder string in it ($1).
  • Fixed an issue where browser syncing sometimes gets stuck in the “Initialization” state.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the theme selection dropdown in Settings didn’t work.
  • Changed the keyboard combination to open the More menu (…) on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where screenshots weren’t able to be sent alongside feedback.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling websites that were installed as apps from the Start Menu doesn’t remove them from the edge://apps page.
  • Fixed an issue where opening PDF files using Application Guard sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs would sometimes prevent the window they’re in from being closed.
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs sometimes don’t have their content sized properly when the tab first loads.
  • Fixed an issue where using Read Aloud sometimes causes webpage content to move unexpectedly.
  • Fixed an issue where the link to manage favorites opens in the current tab instead of a new one.
  • Changed management policies to apply to all installed channels on Mac instead of targeting individual channels.

As always, we appreciate all the feedback you give us, and we hope you try out the Beta Channel and tell us what you think! 

78 Replies

@josh_bodner 

The long awaited feature we want is the favorites button.

The button you still failed to put back there it belongs

I thought that I today finally should be able to switch to  Edge Chromium as my default browser but since it still is broken - Edge classic will be my browser

@matsmcp 

Since Google Chrome extensions work with Edge Insider it opens up many doors to add what your looking for. You could try this extension for example.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/neater-bookmarks/ofgjggbjanlhbgaemjbkiegeebmccifi

or

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/minimal-bookmarks-tree/mohenkbngkbmdlkiemonbgdfgdjacaeb

@matsmcp 

I thought I was the only one hoping for that button! Thanks for posting! :smile:

Syncing for work accounts does not work unless the O365 Tenant has Azure Premium P1 or P2. Edge Team please communicate this. Or please get with the O365 Azure Team and have them enable Enterprise State Roaming for all O365 plans and not just the Enterprise plans. Because right now unless a company has Office 365 Enterprise licenses there is no way to sync Windows 10 profiles nor the Edge profiles. Please see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/devices/enterprise-state-roaming-enable

@tmcb82 

No. None of those will do. They do not provide the right icon (exactly the same one as in Edge classic)

Neither should you have to be dependent on a third party to provide basic standard Edge functionality.

MS do have the code written and done. It's in Canary and has been since 242.

They issue is that they still refuse to push it further. Based on the amount of feedback given on how important this is It should simply have been put it in dev a few weeks ago and it should also have been in the beta released today.

@matsmcp 

Absolutely. This and support for the Windows Share charm. The two things I miss most about Edge Classic.

@matsmcp If you go to settings > appearance there is a toggle to turn on "show favorites button". Strangely this setting isn't in the Canary version yet which I would assume it would have there before it the Dev builds. 

I really enjoyed being able to click items in the context menu using the right mouse button. It made for super easy and fast tab management.

Please add the feature back.
Get Fullscreen mode similar to how it works in the regular edge or in Firefox natively and I will be a happy camper. The ability to use Fullscreen mode and have my address bar show/popout with mouse over is one thing that I really consistently miss from Firefox. That and Tree Style tabs that autohide until mouse hover but I know better than to hope for the latter, not sure why it's not a more popular or in-demand function but I've come to accept that.

@josh_bodner Most awaited features are:

1. Option to completely hide the news feed.

2. Two rows for pinned sites and mostly visited sites.

3. Pinned and mostly visited sites should be drag and drop-able to change the position.

Thanks

I too would love this.

Not even a single issue fixed that I've been submitting for last 6 **bleep**ing months.

@josh_bodner 

Hope a migration of Mouse Gesture plugin of built in Edge to Edge C, or some built in mouse gesture support.

The microsoft one is better than any other plugin in Chrome Store

Hit this issue right out of the gate. Not very obvious what is needed. I have to stumble across edge://sync-internals/ to find the message "Microsoft Information Protection service is disabled" which led me to:

Can someone confirm minimum requirements to get sync working with work accounts?

@SCook1280 

Nope. Don't have that setting in dev. I do have it in canary.

@josh_bodner 

I, too, find the following items sorely missing:

Favorites: a button like in the original Edge and also the handling of the Favorites plane. By this I mean the ability to keep a subfolder open and not having to click on it every time you want to choose the next bookmark in this subfolder.

New Tab Page:

Ability to choose a blank page. No pictures, no feeds, no search bars, no nothing. Just a white (in light mode) or black/dark grey (in dark mode) panel.

Otherwise: keep up the good work!

@josh_bodner Please make an even more robust way to manage Bookmark, like the one in Firefox. That will make this browser almost perfect in my eyes. Having almost a thousand of bookmark, it's quite a chore whenever I try to tidying it up.

Everything else is sailing smoothly. The new Edge is my new go to Browser for work PC now, it's smooth and seamless. Keep it up.

Hey

I update the newest dev version but now cannot open any page even the edge settings page.

Every time starts edge lower right corner keeps popping all my extensions are crashed.

Please help.

@josh_bodner Location Tracking  broke in this version, yesterday everything worked.

clipboard_image_0.png

I cannot use Open Setting because I have a corporate version and this settings are controlled by domain policy.

In Google Chrome Location Tracking work fine.

Can you do anything at all normally or not?

How can I return Location Tracking? Why are there no problems in Google Chrome?