Dev channel update to 78.0.244.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders!  Today we released build 78.0.244.0 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel.  As promised last week, this is the first release out of the version 78 branch, and quite fittingly, it’s packed with new features and fixes.  Some of the most significant ones include: 

New features and behavior:

• Added an option in Settings to choose between light and dark themes.
  • Added the ability to import cookies from the existing version of Edge.
  • Added a policy to enable deleting browsing data upon exit.
  • Added a policy to prevent downloads from being marked as unsafe when they come from a trusted source.
  • Added what version of Edge a management policy is supported on to the list of policies.
  • Added dark theme support to the feedback screenshot editor window.
  • Added dark theme support to the first-run sign-in popup.
  • Added dark theme support to the browser sign in error popup.
  • Added a confirmation when enabling sending Do Not Track requests.

Fixes for improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where Edge Canary crashes on launch on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where saving a PDF file sometimes causes the browser to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating between pages in IE mode sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix would sometimes fail with error D7111-1331.
  • Fixed an issue where items on the Favorites Bar sometimes don’t respond to clicks when a folder is open.
  • Fixed an issue where syncing sometimes gets stuck in the “Initialization” phase.
  • Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes fails without showing any error.
  • Fixed an issue where websites that were supposed to automatically sign in using the account that the browser is signed in with don’t get signed in properly.
  • Fixed an issue where saving PDF files sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where zooming in on a PDF sometimes causes form fill to fail.

Fixes for improved behavior:

• Fixed an issue where links that would launch other applications don’t work in IE mode.
  • Changed the tiles on the new tab page to show the page’s title when hovering over them instead of the page’s address.
  • Removed Read Aloud from browser pages like Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where the F12 Dev Tools feedback (smiley face) button sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs with restrictions (on printing, copying text, etc.) are not getting those restrictions enforced.
  • Fixed an issue where PDF scrolling doesn’t work properly on some PDF files.
  • Fixed an issue where using the arrow keys to move the text cursor in PDF forms sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience showed two checkboxes to allow browsing data to sync across devices.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Save Page As command appears twice in the File menu.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the language the browser is displayed in sometimes isn’t the preferred language as defined by the OS.
  • Fixed an issue where an empty tooltip appears when you open a menu like the … menu.
  • Fixed an issue where the geolocation usage notification sometimes remains after leaving the website it applied to.
  • Fixed an issue where an extra scroll bar sometimes appears in Reading View.
  • Fixed an issue where a desktop shortcut is sometimes being created when removing a profile.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping IE mode tabs will sometimes cause them to show the wrong zoom level.
  • Fixed an issue where the Downloads page cuts off its content when the window size decreases instead of resizing it.
  • Fixed an issue where the sync confirmation dialog isn’t wide enough to fit its contents.
  • Fixed an issue where some browser pages like Favorites don’t get dark or light theme applied until the page is refreshed.
  • Improved the light theme in the F12 Dev Tools.
  • Fixed an issue where some icons like the new tab page icon aren’t properly updating to a lighter color when the browser is switched to dark theme.
  • Fixed an issue where the buttons on the PDF toolbar don’t change state when you interact with them.

As always, thanks for being an insider, and keep sending us all of your valuable feedback and suggestions! 

116 Replies

Hello guys !!! Good news about our Edge :)) I have something to ask about :

Our edge could have a download manager like firefox have ;) ... When we put something to download,  the browser open a footer to manage, with its folder to open or click on the name of file to execute(open); forcing user go to the " X " mark to close it ... When downloading multiple files it's very annoying ... It would be amazing our new edge be something like Firefox download manager, only a bar aside the search bar shining when downloading is working, along side with the extensions ... With no footer screen annoying forcing to close the windows... Maybe we could get a half term on settings, letting users to decide best way to use it :)) Maybe a beautiful Edge logon shining would be great, with no footer/windows to force users to close if He/she is working in other things ;) Think about it guys   ... Thanks guys and thanks for the great job :))

@SOI_7 Where is it?
Thanks

@Deleted  They've told us that new features are only given to some of us at first as part of a 'controlled roll-out', so their monitoring can compare performance of those with the feature with those without it. As I don't see it and at least several other people don't, this must be one of the controlled roll-out situations and we'll have to wait, probably until the next update.

@DavidGB Many thanks for the explanation.

@josh_bodner  May I just point out that the 'Fixes for improved behavior': 'Changed the tiles on the new tab page to show the page’s title when hovering over them instead of the page’s address' doesn't help those of us who CHOSE the tiles we wanted (with the + tile, then entering the URL) as there's still no field to enter the title on tile creation, only the URL - and no option to edit a tile at all after creation, only delete.

(And I'd still like options for two rows of tiles, and how many tiles per row - as long as it lets me pick 6.)

Mine says "Reopen closed tab"
Paul

@paulh1 Interesting. On the last two versions plus this one, I consistently have a one character wide space between the R and the e. I can't think of any option I changed that might affect that (and especially only that).

seems like scrollbar artifact on twitter fixed in this version. 

The latest build has not fixed the problem with MS Edge Dev allowing access to the camera. I have set camera access to "Ask Me" and to "Block", yet I frequently get a notification from Norton that a web page is accessing my camera. I do not want people spying on me.

@DavidGB 

And shows its K/B shortcut.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@DavidGB 

David, the spacing for me is correct.  I hadn't noticed the condition of this before this Build.  Actually, I checked both Dev & Canary, correct in both.
CS.jpg

@Drew1903 

Well I'm out of guesses. I was wondering if you had an update with an extra feature in that menu - adding which they'd fixed the typo - that I didn't ... but I see you haven't. Here's mine:

extraspace.png

@DavidGB @Krauser366 

I think I'm seeing a misunderstanding. David, you are right, the Edge C Channels can be designated Default Browser in the OS Settings; the most enlightening way to test.  However, I think the other person is wondering when Edge C will be replacing Edge as the 'natural' OS Default Browser; without 'forcing' it in the OS Settings.

Some Folks, myself included, are thinking it is likely to happen w/ 1909.  Really, doubt it will be ready before that.  Heck, the 3rd (slowest) beta track isn't even available, yet.

It makes folks wonder since these early betas are, already, so well developed... and folks are, already, using the betas as their new preferred browser... BUT, still, a good while until ready for prime time or GA release or, actually, is pushed out as replacing Edge; as in when it no longer has to be downloaded & installed... well, at least, not on Win10.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@SOI_7 

Where or how are you finding or seeing the Share button?? Maybe, provide a snip.  There is no mention of this in the 78.0.244.0 Announcement, the OP of this thread.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@lexcyn 

WHAT??!!  1) I re-enabled all the IE Flags & still, no sign of it & 2) we aren't even supposed to have it, anymore; we were just testing it for a while... now, it's exclusively an Enterprise thing.  Nor is there any mention of this in the 78.0.244.0 Announcement, the OP of this thread.

Cheers,
Drew

thank yoooou

@josh_bodner 

The main announcement page says that the Microsoft Edge Insider extension is now available, but when I go to the store page, it asks for a code in order to download.

@josh_bodner 

That issue still here, and feedback dialog can`t feedback about browser menu.

More lines of extensions moved into menu, more weird bottom margin (and a fixed left margin)

screenshots is in my original post below

original post

Hello everyone,

Is there ane option to take a Screenshoot on Edge ? Like in Firefox (right click > Screenshoot).

That may well be because it is exclusively available to Enterprise customers. I believe their CTOs & IT Depts would have said code for access.
I say "may" since I don't know type of User or customer you are. Ergo, just a possibility I am suggesting.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone