Dev channel update to 77.0.230.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders!  Today we released build 77.0.230.2 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel.  There were quite a few fixes and additions this week that we believe are significant enough to mention: 

New features and behavior: 

• Added the ability to mark up screenshots with ink.
  • Prevented extensions that are banned from the Chrome extensions store from being installed.
  • Added messaging to better help users for some cases when Internet Explorer mode fails to start.
  • Added the ability to import settings from the original version of Edge.
  • Added additional text to identify when a window is InPrivate or Guest.

Fixes for improved reliability and stability:

• Fixed a crash when pressing Tab.
  • Fixed a crash when pressing F6.
  • Fixed an issue where the Downloads page sometimes didn’t render.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix was slow when playing 4K video.
  • Fixed a crash when installing extensions.
  • Fixed a hang when playing certain types of videos.
  • Fixed some hangs when opening Application Guard windows.
  • Fixed an issue where the popup blocker would sometimes fail to work in Internet Explorer mode.
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes fails to start properly.
  • Fixed some issues where opening certain PDF files sometimes failed.

Fixes for improved behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where SafeSearch couldn’t be turned on.
  • Fixed an issue where selecting all text in a PDF didn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the Apps page occasionally shows duplicate entries.
  • Fixed an issue where languages were getting added to edge://settings/languages when they shouldn’t have been.
  • Fixed an issue where PDF form fields sometimes don’t appear properly.
  • Fixed an issue where tab icons are occasionally the wrong color.
  • Fixed an issue where address bar icons are occasionally the wrong color.
  • Fixed an issue where certain icons weren’t displaying correctly in certain countries.
  • Fixed an issue where the correct start page wasn’t appearing in some countries.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes didn’t display in the proper language.

As always, thanks for being an insider, and keep sending us all of your valuable feedback and suggestions! 

77 Replies

@Toff-kun 

Works! Thanks for the tip!

(The update also affected Reddit videos)

@Dennis5mile 

after the update unpin and repin Edge Dev. Then you will have the blue E.
Tried it on 6 PCs and it works.

Where is Internet Explorer mode? I have it enabled in flags, but can't find where to open an IE Mode tab (e.g. in More Tools menu)

@andsav Currently has been halted temporarily as reported. Only available for Edge Enterprise. 

@josh_bodner 

Videos on Twitter and Reddit are completely broken.

I take it by this, you mean it only uses the enterprise compatibility list? As I'm using the enterprise Edge and the button isn't there, but it does render sites in the enterprise list in IE mode.

@josh_bodner Having problem playing Facebook, Twitter videos.:tired_face:

@josh_bodner Hey i just got the update and I"m testing by playing videos.  Right now the video from Amzon will not play unless I have to move the mouse on the screen.  If i stop moving it, the picture goes away but the video still plays and i can hear it.  Other than that, so far so good!!

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:
  • Prevented extensions that are banned from the Chrome extensions store from being installed.
  • Added additional text to identify when a window is InPrivate or Guest.

These two changes suck :( By the way, it's much better if the InPrivate icon were on the left, beside the omnibox as incognito/InPrivate windows are per user and do not act as another user. I submitted this as feedback to Google but they obviously don't listen to anything except the press lol

Same problem here

@ikjadoon Uhhhh... you know that your taskbar is slightly taller than usual? You have a thick line of wasted space at the bottom of your monitor.

@JDutcher Same issue with netflix. 

@egrm93 It's unfortunately developed a growth. :( We tried everything. Your sympathies, please.

:(

Kidding. If you didn't notice...the screenshot is cropped so you can compare the icons quickly. The Chromium Edge window is, obviously, not maximized....

I'm seeing Reddit video problems too. Gfycat videos do not play well within reddit site, but same video works fine at gfycat site. Also noticed that if I make my Edge browser window real narrow then the video plays fine.

@josh_bodner I can't use the extension to know what music is playing in YouTube (AHA Music - Music Identifier) it says that this browser cannot record audio.

Also, can you add an option to make this as our default browser? So I can finally uninstall Google Chrome and expect to links can be opened in this browser instead of Google Chrome or Internet Explorer.

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

New features and behavior: 

I think there should be a flag for administrators to disable this behavior. I mean, if I'm not using Chrome, I don't want Google to have unilateral say over what extensions I can or cannot use. Edge simply enforcing any extension ban Google comes up with defeats part of the point of using an alternative browser in the first place. 

I can see the value of having this enabled by default since a lot of people insist on installing extensions that originally came from their store, but a lot of us who don't use Google's store in the first place may disagree with some of their decisions as to what extensions should or shouldn't be allowed in the browser.

@josh_bodner Still doesn't work with some download sites https://p5js.org/download/

Still doesn't work with Amazon Music.

@Infinite24  Yes I and others highlighted that much earlier, and haven't received any official response :cry:

@jeffbrown66 for me, as of this build, Lastpass now is 'borked' in that when I click on the browser button for it and try to fill, copy, or edit, the buttons on the pulldown 'move' up and become largely unclickable.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin, but no difference in action.  Don't know if that's why you guys have been seeing?  But this is the first time for me seeing it.

No issues in Classic Edge with the plugin.  I'm using the Chrome plugin in Dev Edge.