Dev channel update to 77.0.230.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders!  Today we released build 77.0.230.2 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel.  There were quite a few fixes and additions this week that we believe are significant enough to mention: 

New features and behavior: 

• Added the ability to mark up screenshots with ink.
  • Prevented extensions that are banned from the Chrome extensions store from being installed.
  • Added messaging to better help users for some cases when Internet Explorer mode fails to start.
  • Added the ability to import settings from the original version of Edge.
  • Added additional text to identify when a window is InPrivate or Guest.

Fixes for improved reliability and stability:

• Fixed a crash when pressing Tab.
  • Fixed a crash when pressing F6.
  • Fixed an issue where the Downloads page sometimes didn’t render.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix was slow when playing 4K video.
  • Fixed a crash when installing extensions.
  • Fixed a hang when playing certain types of videos.
  • Fixed some hangs when opening Application Guard windows.
  • Fixed an issue where the popup blocker would sometimes fail to work in Internet Explorer mode.
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes fails to start properly.
  • Fixed some issues where opening certain PDF files sometimes failed.

Fixes for improved behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where SafeSearch couldn’t be turned on.
  • Fixed an issue where selecting all text in a PDF didn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the Apps page occasionally shows duplicate entries.
  • Fixed an issue where languages were getting added to edge://settings/languages when they shouldn’t have been.
  • Fixed an issue where PDF form fields sometimes don’t appear properly.
  • Fixed an issue where tab icons are occasionally the wrong color.
  • Fixed an issue where address bar icons are occasionally the wrong color.
  • Fixed an issue where certain icons weren’t displaying correctly in certain countries.
  • Fixed an issue where the correct start page wasn’t appearing in some countries.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes didn’t display in the proper language.

As always, thanks for being an insider, and keep sending us all of your valuable feedback and suggestions! 

77 Replies

@josh_bodner thanks for the update!

New features and behavior: 

• Added the ability to mark up screenshots with ink.

Curious to know how to get this to work? Is there any other details available?

Cheers.

@Sdfendor yes - go to the Ellipsis menu -> Help & Feedback -> Send Feedback

Hover over the screenshot and you should see "Edit this screenshot"

Click on it.

You will now be able to mark up.

It looks not good in its current form. I seriously hope Microsoft uses XAML Islands for this in the future. This looks like some hackneyed Win32 custom implementation and produces jagged lines.

@josh_bodner do you have any updates to share about broader inking support in the new Edge and if it will use the Win10 XAML Islands feature? I hope it does because Edge and Win10 have excellent inking but not on desktop apps. The inking for the screenshots right now is not even close to what the native Edge provides.

@jairjaramillo @ikjadoon 

If you Shift + Right-click on the Edge icon in the taskbar while Edge is closed, then you can access the regular shortcut icon right-click menu. You can then edit the shortcut properties, including the icon image. 

2019-07-31_16-34-32.pngexplorer_2019-07-31_16-34-52.png

@tmonster thanks for this, not the kind of "screenshot" feature I was expecting. Thought it was more in the vein of the "Add Notes" feature in the current Edge.

clipboard_image_0.png

@Gerardo D'Amico Yeah, same here. I'm sure they're working on something behind the scenes. I really, really hope it's XAML Islands for Windows 10 1903 or above and defaults to a custom engine for earlier versions of Windows that the new engine supports.

With their latest work on XAML Islands, desktop apps can host InkCanvas:

inkcanvas

With WinUI 3.0 (coming next year), I believe anyone from Windows 10 Creators Update onwards will be able to use Inking in desktop apps. So that will likely cover all supported versions of Windows 10 that will have any significant user base anyway.

Windows 8.1 and below can use the custom implementation that's currently for feedback screenshots.

@ikjadoon  I can also confirm that as of this mornings update Videos and in particular GIF's are stuttering badly in Twitter. Eevrything else seems ok though.

UPDATE: Actually now LOST all audio for ANY video's that are played in this mornings Edge update.

Like the Alphabetical listing for Edge Favorite Tabs but would much like to be able to enter first letter to automatically scroll immediately to those tabs starting with that letter. 

It would make getting to any tab so much quicker and easier than having to use scroll wheel to run down the list. I have rather a large number of favorite tabs and manually scrolling through them is time consuming and sometimes difficult to stop at desired item. 

Maybe not possible but would sure be appreciated by me, anyway. 

Think the new Edge is terrific!

VerdiF

@josh_bodner 

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_1.png

So you call this mess as a fixed new tab page? No! Please select all languages and all window size avalible before when you say "you fixed something"! Chinese (no matter Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese) users all have to see this mess every day!

@moghaazi Here's a quick guide that seems to follow what I did some years ago (it says Windows 7, but it should work for Windows 10, too): just note that each blank space must be a separate "application", as you can't pin the same program twice to the taskbar. Here's to hoping one day Windows allows this natively!

@F-Lambda  Ah, great reminder: we can actually change the icon any time!

@Newcastle_Guardian  Thanks for checking this. I wonder if this is an easy fix or something related to the Netflix bugs.

I can definitely note that Netflix 1080p still has frame drops in this dev build and the previous dev build, but Twitter videos are on another level of degradation. :( Perhaps the fix was only for Netflix 4K

hi @s_lewis, no crash on netflix here, but using only regular resolution (not 4k). 

EDIT: @josh_bodner I'm now having an error in netflix website every time I try to Start ANY series

Error Code: D7111-1331

2019-08-02 (2).png

The funny thing is: using full screen for the video fix the issue (for that particular video)

@josh_bodner  :smile: thanks for the update.

@josh_bodner 

There is a translation problem in French on the homepage.

And I would like to know if it is possible to change the search engine of the search bar

@josh_bodner  thaaaaaaaanks

@josh_bodner F6 is still doing the wrong thing though. It should go to the address bar. You shouldn't change standard shortcut behaviors from Chromium.

Really really disappointed. I sent many issues in last 1 month, nothing is fixed yet! Although I received replies that issues are fixed, I don't see them fixed yet! Looks like you care for only mass users, not for a particular user even when the problem is genuine.

Twitter / Instagram Story video fix:

1. edge:flags
  2. Enable the use of SurfaceLayer objects for videos. -> Disabled

(This does NOT break PiP support for YouTube)

@josh_bodner

With DEV channels, switching from Chrome to Edge is not a dream, anymore.
Even directvnow.com (from AT&T) works smoothly on DEV  

§(* ̄▽ ̄*)§

@savuialex You can unpin from Task bar first. Then go to the Start bar and "right click" to "Open file location" with subsequent copy to Desktop or "Pin to Task Bar". Hope it's work with you. 

Still no IE Mode? :sad_but_relieved_face: Another week on 77.0.211.3 for me then... Glad I grabbed the MSI when I did lol