Dev channel update to 77.0.189.3 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders! Today we released build 77.0.189.3 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel.  As you can see, we’ve moved on to version 77, and as such, there are some fun new things to try out.  Those new things, as well as the fixes we believe are significant enough to mention this week, include: 

New features and behavior:

• Added a page in Settings to choose your desired New Tab Page layout.
  • Added an option in the Help and Feedback menu to report an unsafe website.
  • Multiple tabs can now be selected using the keyboard’s ctrl and space keys.
  • Added dark theme to the Send Feedback dialog.
  • Added a separator between the active tab and the rest of the tabs when the color of the tab band makes it difficult to tell the difference between the active tab and the rest of the tabs.
  • Updated the color of windows when they’re inactive.

Fixes for improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where opening Settings as a guest crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where opening DevTools in InPrivate sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where the loading spinner and the tab icon existed at the same time.
  • Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages with videos would crash.
  • Fixed an issue where favorites sometimes get deleted if the first run experience is interrupted.
  • Fixed some strings that weren’t translated.
  • Fixed an issue where installed websites can’t be uninstalled from Windows Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where DevTools extensions weren’t appearing in the list of DevTools extensions.
  • Fixed an issue where sync sometimes wouldn’t work when using a VPN.
  • Fixed an issue where files shown on the downloads page used a generic icon instead of the file’s own icon.

Mac-only changes:

• Fixed an issue where clicking the Restart App button when installing an update doesn’t open the browser again.
  • Fixed an issue where context menus sometimes aren’t shown.
  • Fixed an issue where the text for the keyboard shortcut to open Downloads is different depending on where it is seen.
  • Fixed an issue where the prompt to enter keychain credentials is unexpectedly seen after installing a new build.

As always, thanks for being an insider, and keep sending us all of your valuable feedback and suggestions! 

45 Replies

@Drew1903 

So I'm not sure what you're referring to, but attached is a screen snip of my tabs bar with 2 Group tabs, one purple and one orange. I don't know how they got created. At one time the purple one was the first tab on the left side, but while moving another tab, it got moved. I can't remove it, move it or open it. It's just there taking up space. 

How do I get rid of these?

Also, I'd like to see the arrow at the end of the displayed tabs indicating there are more. I can't get to ones that aren't shown. It's frustrating to have a payment tab, for instance, open at the right side, then have to get some information to fill in from another tab. I can't get to the last tab on the right. There used to be (in old Edge) the arrow, Most helpful. Please bring it back.

Paul

@Paul Demmitt 

Paul, 

I'll deal with your 2nd query first. You are referring to individual tab Thumbnails and the :downwards_button: that shows historical ones.  The current lack of this has been brought to the Edge C Team's attention.  It would be good if you, also, submitted it to Feedback.  We are in the early stages & it is one a few things, missing, right now.

Now, those 'group' things.  Sounds like I misunderstood... Thought you were saying this had something to do with opening New tab page.  Anyway, moving on... Neither do I know what they are or their origin.  Have to admit they are not familiar to me.  But, that said, I see you have a lot of added stuff to the right of the address bar & some I don't recognize. Maybe, you have added something that has produced these things.  If you close the browser completely and re-open, what tabs show?

And, btw, Dev is now 77.0.197.1  Please, update & then, continue our discussion.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Yes, so the lack of being able to see tabs to the right is very frustrating. There can be many more tabs open that I can't see or close or get to.

As for the "Group" tabs, this has not occurred on my Asus desktop, only my HP Spectre 13 from 2017.
I do have the latest build on both machines and have re-started the browser.
The icons to the right of the address bar are for installed extensions-LastPass, Ublock, NoSquint, Ghostery and a few others. I have the same extensions on my desktop too.
Thanks for addressing this.

@Paul Demmitt 

Paul, I had a wee chuckle reading this, "not occurred on my Asus desktop, only my HP", because, for years I have been a fan of ASUS and not, of HP.  Yes, I know those are extensions... it crossed my mind about toolbars, but, no there isn't any of that or those (browser toolbars not, taskbar toolbars).  Could it, actually, be an HP thing?  Those buttons are unfamiliar to me.  But, I'm going to try a visual search, just have to find your snip, again.  Well, that didn't help.

I have to remember I have a Bing Insider meeting in a couple of hours.

BTW, if you Rt Clk on those extension icons there is Move to menu instead, of them all showing on the toolbar all the time. The reverse is Move to toolbar when they are in the menu.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 I did know about putting extensions in the menu. I've done that with some.

I can't imagine that those color "Group" tabs are an HP thing. 

Thanks for checking.

Paul

@Paul Demmitt 

You're welcome, Paul.  Wish I could say something insightful about those Group buttons.  I've never seen them before & can't guess, successfully, at their origin; nor could I find out anything about them. Quite the mystery.  Surely, someone (else) can shed some light on this one :crossed_fingers:.  You don't have them on Edge, correct? (Just on Dev & Canary)

Cheers,

Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg