Dev channel update to 76.0.167.1 is live

Microsoft

Update: At 8:00 AM Redmond time on May 24 we released build 76.0.167.1 to the Dev channel. This build contains all of the fixes and improvements in 76.0.167.0, and a fix for the bug which caused it not to launch. 

Hello insiders, today we released build 76.0.167.0 to the Dev channel. Some significant changes worth your attention include:

• The built-in translator has now rolled out to everyone. We’d appreciate it if you’d let us know how it works on your sites in your language. Just use the send feedback smiley button.
  • Dark mode, which many of you have enabled manually via a configuration flag, is now on by default for everyone. To see Microsoft Edge in dark mode, you will need to change your Windows or macOS system settings.
  • Keyword search for the address bar is now enabled. When you begin to type the “keyword” for a search engine into the address bar, you will be reminded that you can press tab to search using that engine. You can also type the entire keyword and press space to enter keyword search mode. If you continue typing and press enter, you will navigate directly to search results for that search engine. You may also see search suggestions from that engine as you type. Keyword search is available for all search engines you install or which are automatically detected for you as you browse. To manage search engines, open Settings, then Privacy and services, then Address bar, then Manage search engines. Here you can add or delete search engines AND customize the keyword used for them.

Some other improvements:

• Added a “Close Microsoft Edge” option in the “Settings and more” menu
  • Improved dark theme support in Browser Task Manager
  • You can now tab to address bar icons which indicate blocked site permissions
  • Apps now appear in the same order on the apps menu and the apps page
  • Updated the keyboard focus rectangle so that it’s more clearly visible

Some of the bug fixes in this release include:

• Fixed an issue that was causing high CPU usage while the browser was idle.
  • Fixed an issue where extensions couldn’t alter video playback speed.
  • On the download page, individual download cards no longer change height as you tab through them.
  • Removed the “Unknown” option from the language dropdown menu in the translator
  • Fixed an issue where encrypted video only appears as a black screen.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on menu items sometimes doesn’t do anything.
  • Fixed a crash when enabling sync.
  • Fixed a crash during the first run experience.
  • Fixed an issue where the Settings page crashes due to a corrupted user profile.
  • Fixed a crash when opening Settings while in a guest browsing session

As always, thanks for being an insider and keep that feedback coming.

66 Replies

@David Rubino 

This update has been pulled, according to the Engineering Manager of Edge Continuous Shipping.

Somehow, even though I updated ~15 minutes ago, I still got the update. Will there be an bugfix for current 76.0.167.0 users or do we need to uninstall ..167.. and install the new dev build once it releases?

https://twitter.com/mgradwohl/status/1131685854672510981

https://twitter.com/mgradwohl/status/1131687251807592448

@David Rubino  None of my computers are updating at this point.  After reading the thread, it sounds like that might be a feature, not a bug.  I'm assuming that the Edge team has put a hold on updating pending resolution of the "won't restart" issue.  Is that correct?

Yeah, this is what they have posted on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/MSEdgeDev/status/1131670041567514630

Dennis5mile

Just a reminder that next Dev build is chosen from weekly pull of Canary builds. So one can install Canary build and enjoy more new features. Those are all alpha builds anyway coming up and down.

@David Rubino I just grabbed 76.0.168.0. You guys have been doing a great job with this. I'm happy to report bugs I've submitted have been fixed. Have a great weekend.

1.The new translator feature is hard to use,mainly due to lacking of other languages(for me, is Chinese).
2.Extensions and passwords sync is necessary,unfortunately i haven't seen any changes during these versions.
3.Version 76.0.168.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) crashed just now as i typed this.
4.You have done a great job,in the future i hope that you can make a huge success
And you felt necessary to remind me of this because?????

Dennis5mile
Just updated to 76.0.167.1 works fine. No more crashes.
Ok, got the fix and am now on Microsoft Edge is up to date
Version 76.0.167.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit), however, this did not update automatically while trying to launch Dev normally. I had to launch Dev from admin-mode then update and close and restart and all is well now.....

So for other folks still trying to get the fix and start Dev do this.
Start Dev in Administrator mode,
go to settings>about> and it will start updating
close Dev when asked to restart, then close again and start it as normal
your now fixed..

Dennis5mile

@David Rubino 

76.0.67.1 is working!

1. Launch 76.0.67.0 in Administrator Mode
  2. Settings -> Help & Feedback -> About Microsoft Edge
  3. Update applied
  4. Restarted and voila: it launches! (without needing Administrator Mode!)

I can't comment on the automatic update.

@David Rubino 

EDIT: It has fixed itself! After a few hours and a reboot, I'm now getting proper 2-3% CPU usage when Edge is unfocused.

2019-05-24_14-56-36.png

Original post:

Unfortunately, I am still getting high CPU usage when Edge is idle (i.e., unfocused)

Five identical tabs (YouTube, this forum, Edge Insider home page, browser search engine, and Slickdeals.net homepage) + unfocused state + 60 second test:

2019-05-24_12-43-52.png

2019-05-24_12-42-23.png

Edge has constant 2x to 3x higher CPU usage across 6 cores, even on this latest version 76.0.167.1. This higher CPU usage translates to a higher CPU boost frequency, which translates to higher temperatures, which translates to louder fans. 

I've sent this via the Smiley, too. I hope MS can get this CPU usage back down to levels before the 76.0.159.0 Dev build's CPU over-usage. 

@ikjadoon Interesting. The idle usage for me is down to 0%, when before it was above 0. I wonder why that is.

@ikjadoon 

It seems a different issue compare to High CPU Usage when Edge is focused with no external tabs open. In fact, it may be closer to a new feature request to make Edge completely silent when unfocused, including no disk session maintenance, despite Chrome is not really silent when unfocused with several heavy tabs open. I agree this would be a notable step forward compare to Chrome if possible.

With regards to referral to previous Edge releases, I suspect they had a lot less action going on behind the scene, i.e. much less newly enabled code. Can you open a new thread on this, so other users can join?

Absolutely no prob here, came with latest Win10 Insider update.  Very good work MSFT.

@sambul95 @EbonJaeger 

Thank you both for the replies. Great news: I've tested it again now twice this afternoon, with the exact same tabs, and Edge C is now back down to 2-3% consistently, just like Chrome!

I'd tested twice this morning, too, with both tests nearly identical. Perhaps I missed something this morning or there was some "freshly updated rejiggering": but, I'm happy to say it's now back to normal.

If it happens again and I can reproduce it, I'll be sure to make a separate thread to gather more input. 

Any chance that we can get the option for dark mode to darken the title bar as well as the rest of the browser? And I guess it would be a nice option for light mode to have a white title bar too.

@David Rubino 

Is there a chance of the next update bringing epub support? 

Capture.PNGand update the profile image? I updated my photo on microsoft and windows 10, but did not update in the browser

Update received and applied. All OK so far. Hoping a dropdown menu sort by Name feature can be implemented as it was in the original Edge. Not having it is like sand in my shoes!

@David Rubino any word on password syncing release?

@David Rubino  ahh so this is where Daniel Rubino from Windows Central gets all his leaks. Makes sense you guys are brothers!