Design implementation of the Hub

Bronze Contributor

With yesterday's canary build, a new Favourites option is present in the top bar, besides the account flyout. The flyout looks cool, & I have a query on it:

Will the hub flyout be as a floating popup over the page, or it would be displayed on the side of Edge window, like it used to be in the old Edge? I have no issues with this, but the previous one looked better, as digging into a favourite in the Folders can mean multiple popups open up.

In the side window, the details can be displayed in a neat manner, while also allowing for it to be pinned there.

What are your opinion on it?

Thanks

19 Replies
IMO the button is redundant, the bookmark bar already shows everything. this button sits right above the bookmark bar's arrow where it shows the rest of the bookmarks.
to manage all favorites I can use the right side panel.

Some of us with limited real estate, like on my 15" HP X360, choose not to display the favorites bar. That gives us a little bit more room to display the actual webpage.. @HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX the hub will not be just to see your bookmarks, it will also show you your Reading list, history and downloads, thus the name "Hub". The development has begun on that I guess and more of those elements should be introduced in future builds.

@Rohit Yadav 

Did you have to do something to get that button visable?

I just installed Canary and I only get the standard profile and send feedback buttons. No Favorites button

Go to the right-side menu => Favorites => Show favorite button in toolbar.

yes it's called Favorites button, not hub or any other things that other people here claim

@HotCakeX I suppose you haven't used the old Microsoft Edge.

Have you seen the Hub there? There's no dedicated button for the Hub there, but the favourites button would lead to there I suppose if it is developed in the same manner.

Here's what it looked like in the old Edge:

image.png

Lol i know how it looks like but it's okay you believe whatever you want and call it hub ;)

@Elliot Kirk @V-FRROME  can we get some information on this please?

@Rohit Yadav this feature is in an experimental roll out right now.  If we decide that it meets the needs that it is designed for and has not reliability or performance issues, we will roll it out further.

@Elliot Kirk thanks for such a fast reply... :D

Would it be expanded to include History, Downloads and Reading list also?

@Rohit Yadav, I cannot comment on that right now.  The feature is in an experimental phase, and I don't want to influence the data. - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk Thank you for the response. We would definitely wait for that to be expanded further...:)

@HotCakeX 

I don't have that setting in current Canary (or my glasses needs serious cleaning)

clipboard_image_0.png

Canary 78.0.243.0

@Elliot Kirk @V-FRROME Is there a later one that coud be downloaded in any way?.

After all if I can complain about the button missing in dev - at least I can test it in Canary (just i can get it)

Yeah I just updated to .243 and it's gone. it was available on .242 though.

@matsmcp I guess as Elliot mentioned above, it's an experiment which is only visible for select users right now. I also looked into the flags, there is no flag for it, and no setting as well...

@HotCakeX 

Thanks.

There are multiple threads, lots of requests for that button behaving exactly as it does in classic Edge.

I simply can't understand how hard it could be for MS to put the button there it should be and be done with it.

By the way check again, that button just appeared on my Edge canary. I think Microsoft controls it remotely
No luck - at least not yet
No worries, it's not the first time a specific feature in the new Edge is available only to some people but unavailable for the rest. happened a lot of times when sync features gone missing for me and other forum members and then came back at a later time. hopefully it's all temporary