Dark theme and force dark theme on websites toggles

Steel Contributor

I'm sure you guys (Microsoft) have heard of prefers-colour-scheme. It tells websites to show a dark theme of their website. I'm sure you also know that Chromium can force a dark theme on websites. 

I suggest adding two options to the theme page:

- tell websites to use a dark theme

- force a dark theme on websites (some things may not look right)

Both options would be checkboxes. Force dark theme would be a sub-feature of tell websites to use a dark theme. It would ideally follow the theme of the browser if it's set to sunset-sunrise (another suggestion of mine_

6 Replies
Sounds good. some time ago i tried the extension for it but websites like facebook dont look very good with dark theme background.

I've mentioned it in a few posts. Forced Dark Theme is being experimented on in Chromium (blue Chrome icon) and Google Chrome Canary. It forces the websites to go into a dark theme. I believe it could be in response to Edge Chromium adding their own non-extension dark/light theme switch. I've played with it a few times, but I usually go back to the default because the websites are too dark for me (being it dark everything not just the browser itself). This my snapshot of it:

1:
Capture.JPG

2:

Capture2.JPG

Google Chrome Canary (78.0.3892.0)

@Anthony 

@Anthony wrote:

I've mentioned it in a few posts. Forced Dark Theme is being experimented on in Chromium (blue Chrome icon) and Google Chrome Canary. It forces the websites to go into a dark theme. I believe it could be in response to Edge Chromium adding their own non-extension dark/light theme switch. I've played with it a few times, but I usually go back to the default because the websites are too dark for me (being it dark everything not just the browser itself). This my snapshot of it:

1:
Capture.JPG

2:

Capture2.JPG

Google Chrome Canary (78.0.3892.0)

That's the forced that theme I'm talking about. Google doesn't keep flags. I don't want it to be the default but I don't want people to be stuck with mostly light themed sites. That's why I'm suggesting this.

Sorry about the tone. This might've sounded off.

@pneenkoalabear - Chrome's dark force can be set for different options including the option to disable it. Default being one of them. I believe if it becomes a full pledge add feature it will have a drop down menu of options as my picture shows. Chrome doesn't have an option for dark theme yet (thus the experiment flag), but they allow easy access to different themes on their webstore with some themes being dark themed. Edge on the other handle allows the dark theme (and changing of colors via Windows color option) but users can't add themes from the Chrome store (without doing a work around). I believe it's do to Google blocking the use of their themes on Edge's side although I could be wrong about that, but like I said there's a work around. As to which version of dark theme is better whether the Chromium/Chrome version or Edge version is up to each user to decide as some will like ying and others will like yang. 

Chromium 79.0.3911.0:

Untitled.png

(It's also in Google Chrome Canary)

@Anthony  but Google themselves say that they do not keep flags. Knowing Google, I highly doubt they'd make it an option at all, let alone have those options.

I'm 99% sure that Google isn't blocking Edge from using themes as I could theme Chromium back when I used Ubuntu primarily.

To be clear, Edge lets you enable the dark theme for the browser UI manually but both listen to the OS's preference. Edge doesn't have a forced dark theme for web content like Chrome yet. Both tell websites to use a dark theme when the browser is set to use a dark theme (either manual/OS). 

btw i love your look

Thanks about the look hehe. Yeah, I have Chromium (blue icon) and it's usually one version up on Chrome Canary. I update daily. It does have the forced dark mode flag which is pretty cool, and is also in Canary Chrome. I tried it myself. Yeah, Edge doesn't yet have that....I don't know if they'll be adding it or not in the future. With regular themes from the Chrome store I have to back door it by manually downloading the theme with an app, and then placing it into the extensions or extensions folder. So yes the Chrome themes do work on Edge it's just it doesn't work when trying to add a new theme directly from the Chrome store. I think they're working on that too allow using themes from the Chrome store. We'll see what happens.