SOLVED

Clean install of Edge Chromium

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am using Edge DEV.
My problem is that all toggles for sync are greyed out - even for bookmarks.
I have logged in to Edge Chromium on another device and there it worked and for example toggle for syncing bookmarks was active.

Now I tried to reinstall edge but the toggles are still greyed out.

How do I do a really clean reinstall with all settings set to default?
Or how else can I re-activate the sync-toggles?

5 Replies
best response confirmed by RainerHAM (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@RainerHAM, I would first suggest going to edge://flags, and resetting all flags too their default state, then restart the browser.  If this doesn't work, you can go to the Windows 10 Settings page, search for "Add or remove programs" then search for Microsoft Edge Dev and Uninstall it from there.  You will likely also need to clean out the c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\EdgeDev directory.

Thanks,

Elliot

Hi @Elliot Kirk ,
I tried everything you suggested even deleted the ...\Edgedev directory and clean reinstalled.
The toggles remain greyed out. 
Only the first main toggle is active - all toggles underneath are not active.

Hi @Elliot Kirk 

I had to do this 3 or 4 times and suddenly the toggle for syning the bookmarks is active.
Thanks for your help!

Hello again @Elliot Kirk 
I found out that the problem is my VPN.
With VPN enabled websites load but sync does not work.
With VPN disabled sync works.

Best regards,

Rainer

@RainerHAM @Elliot Kirk  I had noticed this problem on Canary recently. Today after upgrading to 77.0.229.0 sync seems to be working over VPN. I will continue to monitor, but I am hoping it has been fixed. I had not taken time to submit a smiley yet.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RainerHAM (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@RainerHAM, I would first suggest going to edge://flags, and resetting all flags too their default state, then restart the browser.  If this doesn't work, you can go to the Windows 10 Settings page, search for "Add or remove programs" then search for Microsoft Edge Dev and Uninstall it from there.  You will likely also need to clean out the c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\EdgeDev directory.

Thanks,

Elliot

View solution in original post