Chromium Testing "Password Leak Detection" (Not In Edge Yet)

Steel Contributor

Chromium and Chrome Canary are experimenting with Password Leak Detection. Interesting to see if Edge adds that in at some point.

Snipe comparing Chromium (Not Chrome) 78.0.3900.0 to Edge Canary 78.0.262.0:

Capture.JPG

8 Replies

@Anthony 

How it works:

Once enabled, Google Chrome will then show you if the password you enter into a website matches information Google has on public data breaches. This feature will only be available for users who are signed into their Google account, but it can help millions of people. If Google Chrome detects the user entering a compromised password, they will be shown a pop-up prompt that tells the user this password has been found in the public list of unsafe passwords.

The Password Leak Detection feature that was added to Chrome 78 Canary is headed to Android as well.

This website does the same thing:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

It's an interesting feature. Might be an eventual good one for Edge too (except through Microsoft syn/accounts instead of Googles accounts). 

I checked Chrome Canary app on Android and it's not in the flags yet. That too will be intersting to see. 

I doubt its effectiveness though. what are the chances that someone who hacks a server post those passwords in public?
or even when they put it up for sale on torrent or dark web, Google goes and buys a copy from the hacker and then integrate it into their system?

About zero. Those into cracking password or servers or into warez (software piracy) wouldn't be dense enough to post those passwords publicly unless they were complete amateurs. Even on some of the darknet sites or Tor sites they're not going to openly advertise or distribute them. The password leak detection probably is a good backup option/alternative and still a neat concept however as always people should be careful with their password and data information and how they process or input it on the internet as even securited sites .  Unless Google has a secret method of obtaining those leaked passwords that no one else knows about.

Exactly,
I wish Microsoft would make a copy of chromium engine on their github account, like starting from version 80, and then cut its connection to the chromium and Google entirely, so that new versions of chromium won't come from google but from Microsoft themselves. Microsoft engineers can start working on it alone and add their own features in parallel with Google.
though i'm not sure how much open source the chromium engine is or whether its license agreement even allows that.

If I remember corretly "Chromium" is completely open source. What Google put's on top of it for their fork (Chrome) is what or can be closed source (like their auto updater, AAC, H.264, HTML5 to name a few things that's not in Chromium). However Google "contributes" to the develop and forwardness of the Chromium Project which to some can or might be preceived like a puppet master (Google) pulling the puppets strings (Chromium).  https://www.chromium.org/Home

Microsoft forking it going forward with their own Chromium spin-off engine that's not affliated or tied with Google is a interesting indeed. I don't know if that ever will or can happen, but it's a fasinating idea and seperates Edge Chromium from Google Chromium like Brave Browser did (they took and used the Chromium engine without Google's involvement or connections as if making Chromium their own). 

I have Chromium installed on my Windows 10 computer using a third party updater application (ChromiumUpdathe) that I have set to update every four hours (I was doing every two hours for new build revisions as Chromium is revised/updated up to 40 times a day, but two hours as a bit too much. I might even move up to eight hours even though it's all done hidden without view in the background unless I bring up the screens in Task Manager like in my snap picture below) through a third pardy task schedule (System Scheduler). Mainly to compare it too Edge when new Edge features come out or to see if a bug/crash/whatever happens when I'm using Edge to see if it is also found in Chromium.

Chromium is about identical to Chrome as it gets (or I should say Chrome is identical to Chromium as it gets to almost every detail). At least Edge Chromium is taking their own spin, look, design and enginging on it. 

Capture.JPG

What Brave did was great and brave (no pun intended). so if a relatively small company like them can pull it off then Microsoft can do it as well.
updates every 2 hours wow. i mean i love to see new updates but every 2 hours is too much lol. 40 times a day is what like hourly? no it's more than 24 times so it must be minute-ly!
It was really cool what Brave did. They have an android app too.

Yeah, I have it set to auto update Chromium every four hours, but maybe I'll move it up too 8 or 12 hours to grab whatever revised build of that say's build is up at the time.

Chromioum itself revises it's day build anywhere from 20 minutes to to an hour after the last revision build or about up to 40 times day (could be less or more of course). I've seen revisions come out 10 minutes apart while other times two hours a part.

So Chromium browser in the chrome://version will say something like 78.3900.0 followed by "692367" with 692367 being the latest revision. I think (I could be wrong, I heard/read this) that Google takes the best and most stable of that days Chromium "revisions" of that day's build, and to promotes it to Chrome Canary each night via their auto converter (adding all the Google Chrome stuff and logo which is instantanious) and upload bot. Right now Google Chrome Canary is 78.3899.0 while Chromium is 78.0.3900.0 and at a designated time later at night or tomorrow morning Google will take the most stable of the revised Chromium builds of 78.3900.0 and "promote it" to Chrome Canary tomorrow while Chromium moves too 78.3901.0 that same day and starts all the revisions again by their developers.

Chromium site will tell you the current revised build and time since that revised version was uploaded (and also the link to download it) here:

https://download-chromium.appspot.com