Check spelling

Steel Contributor

@Elliot Kirk @David Rubino 

It's good to see that the promised spelling checker is now working, so thanks for that :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:. But ...

In my experience, most Windows 10 programs, including Edge classic and Office applications, use the dictionaries at %appdata%\Microsoft\Spelling. Very disappointingly, it looks as if this version of Edge doesn't. This is problematical for users who have extensive custom dictionaries including specialized technical vocabulary, for example. I just checked my own, and found that one of them has nearly 230,000 entries. 

The proprietary Edge dictionary files I found (at %localappdata%\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\Dictionaries) appear to be binaries, so I haven't been able to find an easy way to add a word list that I can see. 

Apart from that, when I misspell a word like color, it isn't flagged as incorrect if spelling check is enabled for US English as well as for British English. In other Windows programs, the function uses the dictionary proper to the current Windows input language. Please could Edge be made to act in the same way?

4 Replies
Is this in Canary? I donnt see it here in Dev.....

Oh, as of this morning, Spell check is now available to me....  Edge Dev, Version 75.0.139.4 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

@Noel Burgess Spell Check.jpg

Dennis5mile

Adding a couple of words to the dictionary from the editor here: Birkholme, Reykjavík, just to see where they're recorded.

Replying in the hope that someone who knows will respond ...

At present (76.0.182.0), spell-checking is working inasmuch as words not in the hidden dictionary are underlined and the context menu for an apparently misspelt* word (including misspelt!) often has helpful suggestions including Add to dictionary.

Windows 10 has a mature set of spell-checking functions including auto-correct, with easily editable word lists for both spelling and auto-correct. It seems silly not to use these functions and to require Edge users to maintain two sets of dictionaries. And there's no sign yet of an auto-correct feature that many people rely on, particularly to save typing long commonly-used words or phrases.

• Is auto-correct on the horizon?
  • Is there a way to add a word list to the dictionary currently in use?
  • Will Edge on Windows eventually use the Windows spelling tools (spelling check and auto-correct)? 

* misspelt isn't misspelt in Edge classic, IE11, Word or any other program I've tried with EN-GB selected. Only in EC :crying_face: