Change Edge Logo

Copper Contributor

Well, Edge logo is too similar Internet Explorer. Average users do not know that Edge is a completely new browser. Better to distingish them better since Internet Explorer has bad reputation.

7 Replies

Maybe some day it will get a logo makeover like the Office Suite has had or even perhaps a gradient effect. However I don't think that's a priority at the moment and its change would probably only happen just before launch to make it more impactful. 

Edge really needs a logo refresh to bring it in line with the Office / Windows iconography that's currently coming soon, but the core identity of Edge as the blue E should not change. Too many people see it as synonymous with the Internet.

@kheang But you woudn't want to consfuse old users who think of getting on to the internet as clicking the E button waether it be Internet Explorer or Edge. I think having an E logo is Important to Edge.

@KoshyG I think confusing people into not knowing how to get to the internet is much much better than confusing people into seeing the "e" and thinking "oh hey that's internet explorer screw that". In the first case, the uneducated user complains to someone they know who is more educated like "hey where's the internet", and they'll get it explained, and in the second case they see the "e" and never want to touch it and go straight to chrome.

@Sebastiann wrote:

confusing people into seeing the "e" and thinking "oh hey that's internet explorer screw that".

Does this really happen, though? I would wonder. It's been four years, after all. I question that the logo has nearly as much impact on the average user as some people think.

I see people who rarely use IE/Edge (most of them use Chrome), and people like me who often use Edge (and occasionally IE) and rarely other browsers. I think it's brand influence rather than logo influence.

The story with me was: IE was one of the oldest browsers that once had a big marketshare and worked great (I mean great for IE 5.5 and 6). Although there were limitations with it (especially with versions before IE 9), it was widely used during the time of IE 4~6. Later due to its limitations and the upcoming of other browsers (Mozilla/Firefox/Chrome) the market share of IE dropped. But with Edge, it's a revolution not to be burdened by compatibility of old IE features, so the development speed of Edge is much higher than that of IE. Edge has quite good HTML5/CSS3 compatibility, so it is a new browser to me. That's why I liked Edge very much. Edge has already proven successful. I believe the new Edge Chromium is going to succeed once more. I've been using Edge Chromium since Edge Insider provides its download. It's very good to use. No issue so far.

So, for the logo, I don't think it needs to change.

Another incessant repeat.