Certain videos are black when streaming from a Steam Link

Brass Contributor

Using a Steam Link device to cast to a second monitor and using certain services such as Netflix or Hulu, videos show as black, empty screen. Sound still plays but no video. Other services such as Youtube show videos just fine.

By comparison, using Firefox, both Netflix and Hulu videos show up without any issues. The Windows 10 Netflix/Hulu apps do have the same issue so maybe the issue lies with Chromium rather than Edge?

Might be useful if someone owning a similar device such as a Chromecast could try to reproduce this.

3 Replies

@ivarhill 

This looks like it could be a DRM issue. 

I should be able to do some testing with a Chromecast and a Steam Link later on today.

You can play around some flags in the meantime that could be a helpful edge://flags 

drm.PNGstream.PNG

Not sure if they will help but worth a try to look through some of them.

Thanks,

Frank

@V-FRROME For reference, none of the suggested flags seem to have made a difference. I did do some more extensive testing however.

The following cases work:

• Firefox displays Netflix and Hulu video without issues.
  • Chrome (somewhat surprisingly) works.
  • Chrome Canary works.
  • Opera works.
  • Vivaldi works.

The following cases do not work:

• The stable, non-Chromium version of Edge does not work (surprisingly).
  • The insider, Chromium version of Edge does not work.
  • The Windows 10 Netflix and Hulu apps do not work.

So interestingly it seems like all versions of Edge, including the non-Chromium version, have this issue, alongside the UWP apps.

@ivarhill @V-FRROME 

Using Edge and edge://flags I've found that disabling the Widevine DRM has no effect on the black screen when streaming over steam link, but disabling the PlayReady DRM for Windows 10 results in an error message from HBOMax.

cellsword_0-1598034960148.png

cellsword_1-1598034988604.png

Interestingly, the previews of other shows that will play before a show on HBOMax stream over the Steam Link just fine.

In my experience, Chrome and Firefox both stream the image over the Steam Link, but suffer unwatchable buffering or stuttering that goes away when not being streamed over the Steam Link.