Caret browsing

Steel Contributor

Either caret browsing doesn't work in Edge D 75.0.131.0, or else I'm too dumb to find out how to enable it. It's a feature I use a lot, so can someone please enlighten me?

[I conducted a search here before posting, but with no results. There's no mention of it at edge://flags, either.]

1 Reply

@Noel Burgess   Caret browsing is a feature/function that should be added to Edge Chromium, most definitely. 

Caret browsing isn't natively supported in Chromium, and by extension Chrome and other Chromium-based browsers, including Edge Chromium.   Edge Chromium should be (at a minimum) as functional as Edge Classic, and so that is something that needs to change.  I hope that the Edge team is working on it.

I understand that caret browsing can be installed on Chrome by using an extension called Caret Browsing, available for download from the Chrome Web Store.  Reviews suggest that the extension isn't as clean as native support (as in Edge Classic and Firefox), but acceptable.

I didn't find the Caret Browsing extension or an equivalent in the Microsoft extensions, but as a temporary workaround while Microsoft gets around to adding caret browsing to Edge Chromium, Chrome extensions can (in at least some cases) be installed on Edge Chromium.  That might work.