Can't save Editable PDF Changes

Brass Contributor

I've used Classic Edge as my PDF viewer for a while and why it doesn't do the best with editable PDFs it was functional. I found out today that while Edge Dev renders editable PDFs great when you try to save them after makeing edits it downloads the file instead of saving the edits back to source file. Took me a while to figure this out. I kept editing a form, saving it, then reopening it to find none of my edits in it.

This is different from the Classic Edge feature that allowed you to write on a read-only PDF which I know is the topic of another thread. This is for PDF forms that are published with editable sections embedded into them.

14 Replies

@BruceLH thanks for providing this feedback. Currently the save button just downloads the original copy of the file from the web. Edits on PDF forms are not saved. We are working on getting this functionality up and running and it will be available in coming months. Please stay tuned.  

@vygadeka Any updates?

Updates!?  This issue just ruined my entire day...  There is a very prominent save button in Edge, the button is greyed out until you type text into the box, one would think that it functions as a save button..... this is a glaring issue.  please eliminate this button altogether or fix it!@vygadeka 

@vygadeka ...well? It's still completely broken!

Where's the update?? Trying to help someone with this same problem today and the "Save changes" button still doesn't work. Only solution I've found is switching to Google docs (good job Microsoft!/s) @vygadeka 

The functionality to save PDF along with changes was rolled out long back (when I was with the team). Not sure why it should not work. Is there a way you can share the PDF in question or share a screenshot or video for the issue? I can take it up with the right person.

@vygadeka Here is an example of a form: CIV-141 Declaration of Demurring or Moving Party in Support of Automatic Extension (ca.gov)
When I fill this PDF form in with Edge's PDF viewer, then save to my system, it does not save any of the changes I have filled in on the form.

Another interesting bug is that when you tab through the form fields, it doesn't go in order (even though it does go in order in Acrobat).

@microsoftcansuckmybutt Hi, am Komal and I am the PM for PDF experience in Edge. Are you trying to use the 'Save' icon (Ctrl+S) as highlighted in this picture? If the problem persists, would you be able to share a sample PDF where you see this issue? 

Komal_Prasad_1-1648024572981.png

hey, I don't have access to the file and hence can't test it. You were using the free text feature for this, I presume?
Yes, I used that icon. The file is in the link above. It is a public website (Official California Court Website), so you don't need any access, just click the link. If you can't access the link, how else should I share the file?
I don't know what you mean by free text. It is a pdf fillable form. You click on a text box on the form and start typing.

@DougDoug I am able to save the PDF to my local machine and can see the changes as well. I got it confirmed from a few others as well - would you want to share a recording or get on a call or we can arrange to get some diagnostics data from you. For starts - which Edge version are you using(you can try updating to the latest version and try again) and what type of machine do you have (OS specifically)? Very committed to solving this for you!

come è possibile che Edge possa modificare le date di creazione dei miei file?