Bundle in Windows 10 1902?

Copper Contributor

Hi MSFT folks,

Would like to know whether the new Edge chromium version will come with which Windows 10 version? 1902? or other version?

And will the classic Edge remove as well as IE? Please tell me what is the plan?

Thank you.

6 Replies

@junztan  Microsoft has released no information at all (to my knowledge) about the planned release date for Edge Chromium, or how the new browser will be released (as a standalone, baked in to Windows 10 as the default browser, or what).

A number of developments in the most recent builds for Windows 10 20H1 (the version being planned for release in March/April 2020) suggest that Microsoft intends to make Edge Chromium the Windows 10 default browser with that release, removing EdgeHTML from the Start List at that time.

The Edge Chromium release issue is compounded somewhat because a new engine to allow Microsoft Store apps to access the web using Edge Chromium is also under development, and that process will need to work its way through before Edge Chromium can become the default browser.

The bottom line is that all we can do right now is speculate, but what is clear at this point is that Edge Chromium will not be included in the Windows 10 release coming this fall; that release is essentially a service pack with no significant new features/functions.

@tomscharbach - Yeah, it hasn't even reach beta yet. What I mean is the "Edge Beta" version hasn't been released yet, and per the website that is updated every six weeks or so once it is released. So I'm guessing (but of course can be wrong) that once it is released to beta it will be at least six weeks after that when it (or if it) will move out of Beta into Stable. Mind you that would be if it went straight from first version beta to stable version release which I'm thinking probably won't happen as there would be a few beta releases to makes sure everything is stable enough before the first stable release. So I think we have some time before the stable release is released. Like Tom said possibly after the Fall version. If that makes sense, I know it sounds a little confusing. In the mean time you can still promote it to friends and family and groups by encouraging them to download the Dev version (or Canary). The Dev version is well stable, and they can use it while giving insider points. I've been encouraging people I know on other forums and YouTube video comments to drop Firefox (at least for awhile) and try Edge Dev. 

Capture.JPG

On a completely different side note the biggest shock was when Microsoft announced they were bringing back Flight Simulator. People on the X-Plane forums thought Microsoft had long cancelled and abandoned that one. That announcement caused a few feathers to rifle by X-Plane beta testers because many regular users of X-Plane were Flight Simulator X cross overs looking for a new alternative, and X-Plane is supposedly looking into going into X-Plane 12 soon. I wonder if the new MS FS will work with PilotEdge.net that a lot of X-Plane users cross platform use with. Man, I was a Flight Simulator ’95 junkie back in the day. I couldn’t’ stay off that game. 

@Anthony  "On a completely different side note the biggest shock was when Microsoft announced they were bringing back Flight Simulator. "

This is great news.  I go back to MS FS 1.0 and I loved FS then, and still do.  

Msfs1.00_000.png

I run MS FS X: Steam these days, but it is outdated.  I can't wait to see what the new version will bring.  Do you know anything about the Insider program for MS FS 2020?

Hi @junztan, right now the most that we are willing to say about the release of the next version of Microsoft Edge is, it will release when it is ready.  We appreciate all the feedback we are getting from you, our community, and we use it as one measure of our readiness.  Please keep sending us your feedback and suggestions and we will release the best browser we can.

Thanks - Elliot

Hi @Elliot Kirk, thanks for your response. I knew that the stable version will be release soon on next year Jan 15, 2020. Is there any plan for it to bundle in Windows 10 build like Edge? 

Thanks,

Junz