Building a Browser - An Understanding

Silver Contributor

**bleep**, just wrote a lengthy piece & lost it right as I finished it, grrrr.

Will be shorter this time, LOL. You're likely glad of that ;)  I trust you won't mind my sharing some thoughts...

This is a major undertaking, building another browser. It is not tweaking what exists. It's another house on a different foundation.  We just started erecting it and it will take a long time to complete.  The idea is that it will be a better house than, we had. As well, there are a group of things most people hold in common and they view as "Must haves" and "Keepers".  As new people come to the Forum these items will be repeated.  Aided by us being somewhat in the dark presently.  I think that will change, soon.  Edge C was announced in Dec. 2018.  Sometime in April preliminary Builds came available.  That is what we , still, have and are working on or with, now.  Canary - used to send canaries into mines to see it they would survive. Dev - under development, in developmental stages.  This is far from any finished product.  Folks understandably, quite reasonably will make observations & voice what is missing. This stuff must be there and we must be patient & have faith as it is said the items are known & coming. The, actual, Beta version IS on the horizon.  Likely around then we will see more of a Roadmap, some specified Quests, more expanded Build announcements.  We are oft mentioning things which, are known & coming.  It's just they keep being (re)mentioned because people don't know the items are not being ignored, forgotten, missed or neglected. As long as the Team knows what people want included from the old place it's all good and our job to let info them ... we will have the understanding that it is all coming and have the understanding of the time such a big project takes to be 100% when finally finished.  Especially when time is needed & taken for it to be the best house with the widest appeal & use.  Maybe, it will  be done by Fall 2019, but, for a while it is
Under-Construction-Sign-K-7181.gif

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

3 Replies

@Drew1903 wrote:

**bleep**, just wrote a lengthy piece & lost it right as I finished it, grrrr

We are patiently waiting for whatever you think is the next "Must Have" based on "massive demand" no-one noticed. :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It sounds strange though you loose your typing. If I close the browser and then reopen, I still have all typed text retained in the message box, hinting it's saved in browser cache regularly.

@sambul95 

Likely everyone immensely appreciates your insightful, wonderful comments.  Probably everyone thanks you for your wise & helpful, very topical, input.  We are so deeply indebted & grateful.

If you find something "strange", may be best you leave be rather than try to make it less strange for yourself.

You sound very personal.  The writing was strictly in a technical sphere.  Alas, it does seem you missed the, actual, point being put forth in that writing.

It's often prudent to take notice of what others are saying.

Keep smiling :thumbs_up:☺

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

You sound very personal.  The writing was strictly in a technical sphere... There are a group of things most people hold in common and they view as "Must haves" and "Keepers".

Its not personal at all, just a basic absurdity issue. You claim to know and push what "most people need" instead of Edge team collecting user votes and telemetry feature use data. You even said earlier you don't use certain features while claiming later they are Must Haves. :face_with_tears_of_joy:

The reason I posted my note here was the forum team lately in June 2019 suddenly started answering all your historical remarks from the beginning of this forum. This raises fairness concerns, as almost half of my and other users posts addressed directly to the team were never answered by them at all. :crying_face: They also never answered questions posted by users here for last Reddit event, and failed to answer them during the event. The team also never commented and failed to fix high CPU and GPU load on numerous websites covering entire world regions like Europe, despite many users reported that bug seemingly caused by the same page script. I'd like to know why such discrimination occurs?

In this regard, its time to talk about merits. That's why I suggested the team in my recent post to offer a feature list on this forum the users can VOTE on. Again no answer was given. Meanwhile, when someone suggests certain features are in "Massive Demand" and "Must Have" proof is usually required. So such suggestions should be treated based on user votes, and not on number of emails sent by one user to the team. I believe current situation is absurd, and I'd like the team's management input on that.