Bug when opening pdfs

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

I am using the Dev version 79.0.294.1 and I noticed a strange bug: when reading papers online edge crops the last page, see screen capture in attachment. 

This happens with every paper I tried on Arxiv, for instance https://arxiv.org/pdf/1910.04761.pdf, as well as on other online scientific journals

Annotation 2019-10-14 151149.jpg 

10 Replies

@v01d 

Hi,

I tried your PDF link on 2 machines on both Dev and Canary, I couldn't produce your error in either of them. both instances loaded the PDF file completely till the end, page 23rd.

This is on 1st machine, Edge insider Canary

Annotation 2019-10-14 170326.png

This is on 2nd machine, Edge insider Dev

Annotation 2019-10-14 163802.png

This is on 3rd machine and this time it's Edge insider Beta

Annotation 2019-10-14 170048.png

Try disabling any flags you are using:  

edge://flags/

And clear Caches images and files and other browser data from here:  

edge://settings/clearBrowserData

you can try settings the browser options to defaults as well:

edge://settings/reset

@HotCakeX 

Hi, i just tried to disable flags, clear data and reset, but still no luck.

Annotation 2019-10-14 162148.jpg

@v01d 

Well that's showing progress at least

in your first screenshot only 13 pages were recognized but in this second one it's showing 24 pages

have you tried loading that PDF file 

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1910.04761.pdf

inside InPrivate mode window?

@HotCakeX 

Hi again. The first screenshot was from a different pdf, apologies for the confusion. As far as I can see Edge always crops the last page, using inPrivate mode too.

@HotCakeX 

A brief update: I tried to uninstall and reinstall the latest dev version but the issue persisted. I then installed the beta version and everything works fine. I'm on the latest Windows 10, surface pro 6 should it matter.

@v01d 

Hi, no it shouldn't matter which device you're using as long as it's running a supported OS.

That's good news it's working on Beta,

when you uninstalled Dev, did you also remove all the user data? I believe that option would appear as a checkbox during the uninstall procedure.

@HotCakeX 

I think the uninstaller is a bit bugged too: windows complained that he couldn't file the application file but actually did uninstall edge dev. The first time I uninstalled it there was no prompt. The second time he complained about the application file and asked about the user data, which I deleted.

Upon installing the beta version it synced in my passwords and favourites, but i noticed that all the entries were doubled. Some passwords are doubled too.

@v01d 

Well that shouldn't have happened, must be a bug

you can use this extension to clean up your duplicated bookmarks

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bookmarks-clean-up/oncbjlgldmiagjophlhobkogeladjijl?hl=en

for your duplicated passwords, try cleaning them up manually if they aren't so many of them

Are you on a laptop by chance?

For some reason, on a handful of the laptops I've seen, they have this problem. I've never been able to debug why.

@ikjadoon 

Hi there, the pdf-cropping bug ye, I noticed it on my Surface Pro 6. The bookmarks thing instead happens a bit everywhere: I have synced 2 PCs, a phone and a Mac and wherever install edge dev and sync I get some random duplicate favourites.

Maybe it would be good if we could access our synced data online, via our MS account, so we could edit once and for all what needs to be synced.