Backup user profil

Bronze Contributor

Hello

I would like to save my profile, with settings, extensions, etc ...

I save the User Data directory (except the Cache directories and History files, etc ...)

But when I copy the saved User Data directory instead of the User Data directory created during the installation, the start page, the home button and the associated page, installed extension and search engine are the default ones (it's ok for all other settings)

I also have a poput that indicates that another program has changed some settings and some settings have been reset

How to be able to save everything ?

Thanks for your help

9 Replies
Assuming that you don't want to use cloud sync:
1. enable "Password import" flag to be able to import/export passwords to an Excel file format.
2. export bookmarks to a HTML file.
3. use an extension to backup history files. i suspect it's here called "history" . "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\User Data\Default"
4. write down the name of your extensions on a piece of paper.

@HotCakeX 

Thanks for your reply

In fact, I just want to save my settings (start page, search engine, extensions, privacy and service, etc ...)
All settings except history, cache, favorites (backup with a html file), etc...

By saving the User Data directory, everything is "backed up" except the start page, search engine, and extenstion

Do I forget to save something ?
In the registry maybe (like IE and Edge) ?

Thanks for your help

You're welcome,
doesn't the "settings" option in cloud sync take care of those details?
i think you better wait for the extension cloud sync to be enabled. because whatever registry or trick there might be, it will definitely change quickly because of active development of the browser.
if you download your extensions from Google extension store, you can go to your library and you'll find the list of all your extensions, you will just need to click on install on each of them. :)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/user/library

I use that myself in the absence of extension cloud sync.

@HotCakeX 

OK, thanks

I'll leave like this, it saves my settings and too bad for the start page and the extensions, I'll do it manually while waiting

For sync, need a microsoft account I believe, and I do not (local account on my PC for example)

Thanks
So you've never had a Microsoft account before? not even when signing up for this forum? wow

@HotCakeX 

I have a "microsoft account" only for my email address (@live.fr) that I also use for this forum and that's it :smile: :smile:
I thought you said you do not have one. anyway you can use it for Edge cloud sync too.

@HotCakeX 

Yes I do not have it in the sense that I do not use it like MS account (Windows 10, etc ...), nothing is synchronized on my PCs (not useful)

the sync is not yet available on chromium, that's why the option is grayed out then ?
Only history, open tabs and extension sync is not enabled, the rest are working.
it's easier to use cloud sync instead of manually backing up local files.