BUG click scroll wheel to open link in new background tab

Copper Contributor

since the update of 25 June build : Version 77.0.197.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

when you click a link with the scroll wheel to open it in a background tab, the new tab and the current tab are automatically placed in a group. even if you open a link through the context menu

7 Replies
I am not seeing this behavior on Version 77.0.201.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit). The background tab is loaded, but is not placed in a group with any other tabs.

@davequail i see that you are at a newer build so it is probably something they missed and is already fixed in your build

This is quite possible that it was fixed in the mean time.
unfortunately not, latest Edge Chromium Dev on Win10 64Bit, always getting crabby Group Tabs when using middle mouse key

Really no fix on this yet! it makes the edge Dev Build pretty much useless.

@quintendc Not sure when they are going to fix it on Dev, but it has been working for some time already on current Version 78.0.244.0 (Official build) Canary (64-bit), and on a couple of older Canary builds.

@quintendc That's really weird. This has happened to a few people. I don't have this issue on Dev 77.0.235.5, FWIW.

I think the A/B testing is getting a tad too aggressive in Chromium Edge. We've had icons, syncing, tab groups (a rumored upcoming "feature" that's clearly broken), etc. that are just wildly different between users.

Unfortunately, this makes user-to-user feedback (critical for a pre-production project) just impossible. Nobody knows whether they're in A or B, and that's even worse when one of the sides, like this thread shows, has a legitimately frustrating bug.

I had expected they were closer to polishing up now.