Apple’s hired contractors are listening to your recorded Siri conversations

MVP

Since off topic posts are ok in the forum so here we go ^^

Apple is paying contractors to listen to recorded Siri conversations, according to a new report from The Guardian, with a former contractor revealing that workers have heard accidental recordings of users’ personal lives, including doctor’s appointments, addresses, and even possible drug deals.

According to that contractor, Siri interactions are sent to workers, who listen to the recording and are asked to grade it for a variety of factors, like whether the request was intentional or a false positive that accidentally triggered Siri, or if the response was helpful.

But Apple doesn’t really explicitly say that it has other humans listening to the recordings, and whatever admissions it does make to that end are likely buried deep in a privacy policy that few (if any) Siri users have ever read. Apple does note on its privacy page that “To help them recognize your pronunciation and provide better responses, certain information such as your name, contacts, music you listen to, and searches is sent to Apple servers using encrypted protocols,” but nowhere does it mention that human workers will be listening to and analyzing that data.

In a statement to The Guardian, the company acknowledged that “A small portion of Siri requests are analyzed to improve Siri and dictation. User requests are not associated with the user’s Apple ID. Siri responses are analyzed in secure facilities and all reviewers are under the obligation to adhere to Apple’s strict confidentiality requirements.” Apple also noted that less than 1 percent of daily activations are analyzed under this system.

Source

HotCakeX

1 Reply

@HotCakeX 

Thanks for sharing this. It's very interesting. I was thinking of getting a used iPhone to replace my Windows Phone because I really don't trust Google, and I'd heard Apple has a better record on privacy than they do. 

It looks like I may just have to get a Sony phone and flash some kind of Android fork like LineageOS or something with all of Google's junk ripped out, just like I was hoping to avoid. Or else just downgrade to a feature phone and use my Surface more, I'm not a big fan of smartphones anyway.