SOLVED

Administrator Mode pop up

Iron Contributor

Is there anyway to disable the popup?  Yes i know I have UAC disabled and that is why the popup is showing.  I get that.  However I would like to see a setting to disable the popup or at the very least only have to close the popup once per browser session.  What I mean is first time i open the browser if you want to tell me its running in Admin Mode fine but don't show me every time I click something that opens a new tab.  Have it remember that I already seen that popup and closed it until the next time i fully close and reopen the browser.  

15 Replies
forcibly disabling UAC breaks many sandboxing protections in chrome, chromium, and edge.
this configuration is dangerous and unsupported, there is more to UAC than just the UI and popups, which can be turned off without breaking web browsers.
do you have a genuine need for running in this configuration?

@Deleted 

Not that i want to get into a discussion about UAC here but yes I have a buisness need to keep it disabled.  

it may seem like a seperate matter but that is the root of the issue, you can reach out to microsoft to have help with getting your windows configuration and applications fixed usually for free for compatibility with windows 10, even if the sourcecode is lost
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/FastTrack/win-10-desktop-app-assure

the popup may seem like an issue, but likely micrsoft will likely block the browser from being able to run in unprotected mode at all, which is a move most support

that this is in a business context is also extremely concerning as this potentially falls foul of data protection rules and certifications

@Deleted 

UAC is not the topic here as such I am not going to discuss my need to keep it disabled, why or how bad anyone may think this is.  The debate about UAC has been hashed out on hundreds of forums many thousands of times now.  There is no need to do this again.  

I understand that this popup is because I have UAC disabled.  All I was asking was for a way to suppress the popup for anyone that chooses or must run with UAC disabled.  At the very least stop the popup from showing every single time I click a link.  Once I open the browser and it gives me the popup one time that should be enough.  When a link opens a new tab in the browser where I was already presented with and closed the popup, it should not popup and tell me again.  I already know that im in admin mode.

Possible alternitives would be to put a ADMIN MODE banner/icon/ect on the browser window to the right of the tabs under the Min,Max, X buttons.  Something that like that where it would indicate all the time no matter what tab that its in Admin Mode but not intrusive after the first popup.  

I do like the new Edge browser and have been using it alot since the Dev version first released.  Before this I had never even once used the old/original Edge browser.  

best response confirmed by BumSkull (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Thank you @BumSkull for your feedback. I will let the team know about this ask.

@BumSkull what is the business need to disable for the whole OS?

@Elliot Kirk  Thanks

@alexbal   Its a terminal emulator for our AS400.  It stores it settings in HKLM/Software so it needs read and write access.  Also uploads/downloads data via CSV files that can only be stored in the root of the c drive.  Any attempts to run this app fail with UAC on.  Even runing as admin with UAC on the app doesn't work right.  It has not been updated since win7 days.

@BumSkull 

Thanks for explaining the scenario,  that sucks, BTW there are compatibility layers in UAC and appcompat that should fix that by redirecting the call (simply turning admin on does not activate that). If turning on the win2k or xp app compat layer doesn’t work consider giving the app compat toolkit a go with custom set of shim layers. Unfortunately if you find you can fix it turning UAC back on is likely to break many things installed after UAC was turned off, so of course may be past point of noreturn. I do know that almost all testing scenarios in MS assume UAC is turned on. So you will continue to hit these things. Just the cost of doing things with old apps. Good luck!

PS also theoretically AppV wrapping the app could fix.... 

otherwise yeah, not a lot you can do :(

the application doesn't need to be patched or updated, you can build a shim for this application

if you haven't already the easiest thing you can try running it in compatibility for XP which is essentially pre UAC existing level compatibility, on first glance i would assume that you need to disable write virtualisation

the compatibility features in windows are genuinely good, though not too obvious to find or use, however i promise you this app can run on windows 10 without disabling UAC system wide

I understand that this is not what you are asking, but i urge you that pursuing this option should definitely be the long term goal
disabling UAC, just like disabling AV or firewall, should only be ever be a temporary measure for troubleshooting

a lot has changed since vista but the same advice and arguments which were relevant then still get thrown around now

@Deleted 

Originally we did try and run in compatibility mode without success.  Admitidly we have not looked back into this since the first release of Win10.  Everything has been working perfect with UAC off for us and im afraid that turning it on will cause 10x the amout of issues at this point we just dont have the resources to take on that level work.

@BumSkull

Yeah turning UAC back on can be a nightmare because app will suddenly get redirected to the virtualized name space where anything they have written to the per app name space will be gone.

That’s why suiting apps using app campat toolkit or more likely app-v is useful, I suspect your app is a collection of apps that need to read and write from the same virtualized locations (hklm, root, etc as that’s how the pass information between them.)

think of this as a research project for the summer, you are going to need to address some it day (or replace the app). Or accept oddities in apps when UAC is off.

@Elliot Kirk 2019-04-24 16_58_37-.png2019-04-24 16_57_27-.png

Here is kind of what I would love to see in the New Edge.  This is how Visual Sutio 2019 currently handles this.  Throwing up an ADMIN label or in the case its actaully a button that opens up the about window.  

i think the ideal solution is the same as existing edge: that the browser should not launch

also you can disable write virtualisation system wide before enabling UAC which will prevent breaking existing applications
and since this is likely the fix for your old/critical application it'll fix that too
as for time, it takes about as much time as installing a preview version of a web browser on an apparent business critical machine, you'll be fine

@Elliot KirkIs there any status update on this? We have similar issues with Citrix environments where we need UAC disabled and want to use the new Edge, but users get freaked out by the Administrator mode pop-up. We would like the ability to disable the popup also. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by BumSkull (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Thank you @BumSkull for your feedback. I will let the team know about this ask.

View solution in original post