Add arrow to shortcuts

Steel Contributor

The new "Pin to desktop" feature is utterly confusing. When I go to the "All Apps" menu I get a mixture of actual apps and shortcuts without a way to tell which is which. You even get an uninstall option when you right click. I accidentally uninstalled an app when all I wanted to do was remove a shortcut to the app's website that had the same name. Could you add an arrow to the shortcut icons like in Windows 7 or bring back the old "Pin to start" feature? Those of us running tablet mode really need it.

3 Replies

@Jacques Van de Meerssche wrote:

The new "Pin to desktop" feature is utterly confusing. When I go to the "All Apps" menu I get a mixture of actual apps and shortcuts without a way to tell which is which. You even get an uninstall option when you right click. I accidentally uninstalled an app when all I wanted to do was remove a shortcut to the app's website that had the same name. Could you add an arrow to the shortcut icons like in Windows 7 or bring back the old "Pin to start" feature? Those of us running tablet mode really need it.

Hi @Jacques Van de Meerssche, I am not sure what All Apps menu you are talking about.  I have installed the Reddit site as an application by going to ... -> Apps -> Install this site as an app.  I can then search for it on my Windows 10 start menu, and I have more options.Reddit App.PNG  Is this the All Apps menu that you are talking about?  If so, I will send the feedback to the Windows 10 team, so that they can make the options clearer.

Thanks,

Elliot

Sorry that I wasn't clearer. In the screenshot here how can you tell the difference between an app and a pinned shortcut. I have several of them where the app name and the site a shortcut refers to have the same name.@Elliot Kirk 

@Jacques Van de Meerssche thanks so much for that additional detail. We are definitely working on this scenario in realtime and are taking all this feedback into account. It's a complex space. I'm really curious about something specific here (besides the confusion you felt and the User Experienc not being what you expected): is there a reason you have both a pinned shortcut and an app with the same name? I've been sort of thinking that people who install the App would no longer actually want to have the pinned shortcuts anymore, so I'd love information about how you use them.