ADFS no longer tricked by InPrivate.

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

As an IT Operator for my company I need to be able to log in to several sites with all kinds of service accounts, including an operator account for our cloud Office system.

I have relied on Edge Insider Canary (currently running 78.0.254.0) to foil ADFS and log in with accounts other than my standard one... until today.

I don't know if something has changed "under the hood", or if I was just lucky all this time and ADFS is actually meant to work correctly while InPrivate, but I can't rely on it any longer.

Is there any hidden setting/flag I can modify to go back to ADFS not working while InPrivate? Has anyone else noticed a sudden change in their ADFS behaviour while using Edge Insider?

2 Replies
It's just the ADFS SSO doing its SSO task. a well configured ADFS must not allow a user to log in with other credentials, that's a security issue.
you can try running the browser as a different user (hold shift then right click on the browser icon)
or you can use Firefox that has containers/container extensions. also test it in Application Guard window. it's more isolated than inPrivate window.

Thanks for your reply.

I do understand that ADFS is merely doing its job, but this behaviour was exhibited by not only Edge Insider, but by old Edge as well (in fact, I can still use old Edge InPrivate to "trick" ADFS and log in using my service account) and, since both browsers and ADFS are all MSFT products, I assumed this was "working as intended", that this is the way they were supposed to function.