A view to IE

Silver Contributor

This is just some thoughts & not necessarily brand new ones.  Not, really, an editorial or opinion, just some musing.

Was prompted to say this now because we aren't seeing a way to IE, via the browser, in Dev or Canary (suddenly, anymore) and that has people taken aback & panicked, saying, "What are we going to do, now:question_mark::exclamation_mark:":\:thinking_face:  (Even, though, can (still) access IE via the OS)

Windows 10 has continued to have IE available. In Edgium we had IE Mode.  Before all that, we gave people XP Mode. Updating & change is tough for some, it seems.  It was a happy thing when Edge replaced IE. It was, even, well before that IE was an old nag deserving of being put out to pasture.  The only reason IE has lingered (and this is meant in the nicest and most understanding way) was to pamper & indulge Enterprise concerns.  Environments saying, feeling, thinking they require (old) IE to run (old) legacy software & programs. This is instead, of moving to more up-to-date software & programs.  This is instead of vendors offering up-to-date items or keeping pace with technological improvements.  Besides, certain, few Enterprise scenarios, there is no NEED for IE. For others) there is no compelling reason for having it, using it or clinging to it.  It's viable days are long gone.  LET IT GO, Folks.  As for the challenges of Enterprise, there will, always, be an acute effort to accommodate their needs.  Change there may be wise, timely & fitting, but, can be an effort with many 'interesting' concerns making it less than quick, simplistic or easy.  For the remainder of End Users, let IE be just a memory from the past.  Along with pre-Win10 OSs ;).

Oh & some say they NEED it for java. Irony is java is, also, riding off into the sunset.  Let them ride off together.

We are all allowed thoughts, even, if & when we are bold enough to share them. Remember, this ⬆ is not scolding nor preaching, just musing. Old IT people do that :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

3 Replies
Well said!

Dennis5mile

@Drew1903 There is actually a case to be made for IE in some circumstances. There is a website I use for a non-profit (ymlp.com), a mailing list provider that doesn't work quite properly with anything else. It mostly works, but re-sizing imported photos doesn't and there are some font glitches. I believe they are based overseas in the EU. I have tried everything else. 

I installed the IE extension from the chrome store and it does work, just not ideal. I fing that I go back to using IE for just that one thing.

So bringing IE mode to the new Edge would be a welcome addition.

Paul

@Dennis5mile 

Thank you, Dennis!

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg