Home

My office add-in only works on Windows

Ossi Niiranen
New Contributor

Background:

I'm a hobbyist developer, and I've been spending some of my copious free time working on a Word add-in. I got it working nicely on Windows Office 2016, but when I try to side-load it on Office for Mac, it does not work. Even on Mac the web page displays fine, but all Jquery calls to a PHP webservice fail. 

Two questions:

1. Given that the add-in fails on a mac without any error messages, I'm not sure what is wrong. What are the typical problems faced when trying to make a working Windows Office add-in work on a mac?

2. Is there an easy way to debug Office add-ins for Mac? I've tried setting up Vorlon.js as described here (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mim/2016/02/18/vorlonjs-plugin-for-debugging-office-addin/) but I must be daft because I can't get it to work. I can get Vorlon installed and running, but I can't get the Office plug-in to work. I don't know why.

5 Replies
AFAIK Office Add-ins for Office in the desktop only work with Office installed on top of Windows...at least it was in that way when Microsoft released Office Add-in model some years ago...but it seems they are cooking some stuff about Add-in support in MAC: http://www.macworld.com/article/3051051/software-productivity/add-ins-are-coming-to-microsoft-office...

Juan Carlos,

Thanks. They indeed introduced Office add-in support for Mac recently[1], so it is supposed to be working. As I said, I can even install the add-in and see the html page, but scripts calling a PHP webservice seem to fail but I don't know why.

[1] see e.g., https://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/word/word-add-ins that refers to Office for Mac

Ey Ossi, thanks for the link...let's see if someone from the team can help you...I'm not familiar with the Add-in model for MAC so not sure what can be happening in your case

Hello, Kindly let me know if the issue is resolved for you. Because I am also facing the similar issue.

My add in works perfectly fine in Windows10 but when I upload the manifest file under com.microsoft.word/Documents/wef directory in mac os x (I am using EI Captian), I can see the Add-ins in word , and I am able to choose my add-in. My Add-in loads perfectly fine in Mac also and I am able to navigate to home.html and able to execute the custom login functionality.  As part of the app functionality I need to call getFileAsync method. In Mac it fails and it does not show any error or it does not show anything in the logs. I tried to setup Vorlon but when I launch the web app from browser its able to connect to Vorlon (it show the client in dashboard), but when I trigger the app from within the word (by clicking the Add-ins button) Vorlon is not picking the client. Is there an easy way to debug the app, as it works perctly fine in Windows. I need to make sure the office Api's should run properly in mac. 

Please let me know if you have any pointers on this. Thanks.

Finally I was able to fix this issue myself. I used Office.FileType.Compressed for getFileAsync method. In mac, Office.FileType.Pdf is not working(but works in windows) and it throws internal error. The compressed one will give the response as docx format.

Related Conversations
Extentions Synchronization
Deleted in Discussions on
3 Replies
Tabs and Dark Mode
cjc2112 in Discussions on
36 Replies
flashing a white screen while open new tab
Deleted in Discussions on
14 Replies
Stable version of Edge insider browser
HotCakeX in Discussions on