HCW Error when configuring the mail flow

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

im trying to run the HCW and i have the below error when it reach the mail flow configuration.

HCW0000 PowerShell failed to invoke 'New-InboundConnector': Parameter count mismatch. An unexpected error has occurred and a Watson dump is being generated: Parameter count mismatch

Thanks

84 Replies

HI Guys,

Trying to work this issue arround came accross a senario. I created a new org admin account, did not assign any permission. Then try to run the Hybrid Wizard, It worked. While i try the old admin account same error. Test it guys maybe it will work for you.

I am also having the same problem using the Office 365 Exchange admin center.

When I try an turn on an existing connector which is currently off I get the error

Parameter count mismatch.

Regards

John Ellwood 

Just to confirm creating a new org admin accounts work for 2 of my clients

For Me it is not change ,

Surprizingly even if you do direct connection to Office 365 portal via ps and give the command get-hybriddatacenterips , it gives the same Dump error,

I am not sure how changing admin account resolve this issue , unless there is cache thing being cleared,

Regards,

Hasan Reza

I can create inbound connectors, just not set type to OnPremises. That's what throwing the exception.
No luck on the new account for me. When you say org account, you mean in the on-premises server, right? Or did you use a new account in Exchange Online?

Tom
I'm certain it is something on their end. The error is:

A variable that cannot be referenced in restricted language mode or a Data section is being referenced. Variables that can be referenced include the following: $PSCulture, $PSUICulture, $true, $false, and $null
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : VariableReferenceNotSupportedInDataSection
+ PSComputerName : outlook.office365.com

Since it is a remote session, I don't think we have any control over this.

We plan on removing the connector via PS instead of the ECP late on a Friday night. Let it "marinate" thru the night to allow for that connector to "purge" from theTenant. Then re-run the HCW on Saturday morning with fingers crossed that it had enough time to delete.  I asked and was told if it still errors at that time, that it is ok to continue to try to run the HCW until success every couple of hours. In other words, not harm or ill effect to continue to try setup the HCW. Not exaclty the best way or definitely a flaw on this whole process IMO as obviously others are experiencing the same issues even with different type of HCW deployments. Very frustrating to say the least and of course does not instill confidence with our leadership with the problems we have experienced just trying to lay the tracks in preparation for a migration.

This will push back our migration at least another week now.

I'll update with our progress.

Removing the connector and readding it will not work. I have been trying to setup a connector net new, with no existing configuration in place. I have even tried manually rebuilding the connector to no avail. Ultimately, it appears this is server error. My assumption is that the scope is fairly small, considering there is not more outcry currently. As far as confidence goes, I have done 50-60 migrations now and would still recommend Office 365 again and again. Things happen and when you are maintaining such a large infrastructure, and an issue impacts a small subset of users in an unpredictable way, it can be hard to catch. I've certainly seen uptimes incomparable to Exchange OnPrem. We just need to bring attention to the issue and it will get resolved.

I was finally able to re-run the HCW sucessfuly.  HOWEVER - since we were an existing install, here's my tale of woe: the wizard rebuilds the connectors which rebuilt the queues. Normally this probably is no big deal for a new install or when the wizard runs to completion in a few seconds.  Unfortunaltly, since we had been down for almost a day, this had the lovely effect of wiping out all the email that had been pending for my enterprise for the last 24 hours.  Microsoft's helpful response - "oops".  And of course their official position is that "you can't lose mail with our system so we don't do backups".  We are exploring what we can do.  If you are a production environment - be warned.

Creating new Admin Account in Office 365 and re-run Hybrid config wizard worked. 

Create office 365 organization admin and then use that new account for HWC
Doesn't work.

Just got off the phone with Microsoft Support.  They informed me that they are aware of the problem and stated that a "small amount" of customers have reported this problem and do not have an ETA for the resolution.  

Adding to this, today I was attempting to setup SMTP relay with on-premises organization to Office 365. and experienced the exact same error seen with the HCW when setting up the connector within Office 365.  Only this time I was simply setting up a SMTP relay connector.

As we all know, the process of setting up SMTP relay with Office 365 tenant is a VERY easy process, and to make things even easier, this article walks you through the steps to a tee (How to set up a multifunction device or application to send email using Office 365 - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-to-set-up-a-multifunction-device-or-application-to-send...).

So the problem is not only affecting Hybrid Deployments/Environments.  It is affecting tenants who attempt to setup/configure connectors in the EAC.  My tenante today is currently NOT in a hybrid configuration.  Simply, the problem is within the Office 365 EAC > Mail Flow > Connectors.  Whether you are performing a new-inboundconnector command VIA the HCW, or simply trying to setup a SMTP relay connector, you will receive the following "generic" error:

error
Parameter count mismatch.

Mr. Schoenfld, unfortantely that does not work either.

Vimal - can clarify more please. When you say "I created a new org admin account, did not assign any permissions" do you mean you created a new account in your local AD and then added it to the Exchange Org admin Security group within AD then run the HCW? If so, what do you mean that you did not assign any permissions?

Please kindly elaborate-

I am willing to try this method at this point with a little more background on the requirements.

-Ron

I'm not sure what you mean, I didn't imply anything worked.
Hi Ron, I created an office 365 only account with a UPN of tenant.onmicrosoft.com as the username. add user role as org admin. In the HCW wizard use the new account to signing to office365.

Hi.

Same Error after new User and select Full Hybridconfiguration.

Same error here

Accounting software sends out invoices and needs a connector to use office 365 or office 365 refuses inbound email from the software.

Company switched ISP and has a new IP address, editing the existing connector resulted in Parameter Count Mismatch event, removing the connector and recreating it with the new IP has the same result.