User / Project Directory Options

Iron Contributor

We have a very outdated employee directory here that we are looking to update.  We're a construction company so it's important that we are not only keeping track of employee contact information, but also current projects, past projects, and project addresses.  The ideal scenario is one where you could easily find all the projects a user has worked on as well as find all the users that are working on or have worked on a project.  The project information would most likely come from our Oracle HR system or Salesforce.  I don't think Delve the way it is, is a good fit, but wondering if anyone has done something similar by perhaps extending Delve (if even possible) in some way or creating some other search based directory that puts these two pieces of information together.  Any thoughts?  Ideas?  

3 Replies
Totally agree here, Delve is no the way to go for meeting this requirement but you can use Delve Foundation here: the Microsoft Graph API. Unless there is a third party tool that allows you to build easily the solution you need, I only see a custom app as a solution for you here where you use the Graph API to get information about what users are doing around Office 365 and some kind of integration to get business data from Oracle and Salesforce
take a look at hyperfish to help get you AD profiles updated.
you can use Flow to grab data from Salesforce
Delve is not extensible
Here is a good example that could help you get started http://sympmarc.com/series/create-a-simple-sharepoint-2013-employee-directory-on-office365/
You could extend the SharePoint User Profile with custom properties and import the informations from your Oracle System via the bulk import API for SharePoint User Profiles. Afterwards you can build a search driven people directory within SharePoint that links to the Delve Profiles. The custom SharePoint User Profile Properties are also displayed in Delve if I'm right. Should bei pretty simple to do.