Delve Org chart not respecting msExchHideFromAddressLists

Iron Contributor

Hi,

We have a couple of accounts in our AD that have msExchHideFromAddressLists set to TRUE so they do not show up in people searches. 

Global Delve search seems to understand this setting as it does not show the accounts in the search results, but it seems the org chart shown in Delve does not respect this attribute. Therefore these people show up in the org chart, which is causing quite some confusion.

Is this something that can be confirmed and deployed in a new release of the Delve profile?

Best regards,

Joost

11 Replies

Same here, was wondering if there is any workaround for this till it gets fixed...

Why not showing them in the Org. profile? IMHO both features are independent, i.e, organization chart is not taking into account you cannot search for documents of these users

The whole purpose of the setting is to make sure these accounts do not appear in the Outlook Address Book. The setting is also used elsewhere in Office 365 to hide the accounts from appearing anywhere else. It does make sense the org chart also uses the setting in that way.

After all, the org chart in the Outlook Address Book and the org chart in the Skype Contact Card also do not display these accounts.

Not sure I follow your comment - what do you mean by Org Profile? requirements for us to just see a org chart correctly, so when I go to Delve and click on person it shows direct reports which are disabled causing confusion for end users.

Been coming across a few things lately that potentially are not respecting the "secret" settings being flipped in Powershell or other places: https://twitter.com/MakeYourselfNrd/status/869267116481888256

@Mark Kashman This might interest you as one of the resident Delve (and really Graph) wizards. If Office 365 is going to offer Public, Private, and Secret, all the various tools and services need to respect that choice, especially the Graph.

Looping in @Margrete Sævareid who can loop in her profile colleague to review; Krister Mikalsen.

Margrete, can you review the above scenario and see if Krister and profile team are aware and have any feedback?

Thx,

Mark

No Feedback? It is strange to see different org charts in Delve and Skype/Outlook...

I bet that the issue is that Delve is more tightly associated with SharePoint than it is with Exchange. The HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled setting is an Exchange property maintained, I think, in EXODS rather than AAD. It is used by Exchange to generate address lists but as Delve and SharePoint have no knowledge of what is in EXODS and base their view of the world on AAD (and SPODS), you end up with a functionality gap...

Oh, and the reason why Skype shows the same as Outlook is that Skype knows about Exchange...

@Tony Redmond Well, I would say SharePoint/Delve have heard about Exchange but did not get the full story.

Searching in SharePoint/Delve makes clear that the attribute is known by the SharePoint/Delve search function as there are not direct search results for these accounts.

It is only the org chart that is not respecting the attribute.

Knowing that an attribute exists and using it are two different things.... I accept that the attribute is known to Delve,  so therefore it's a case of Delve cheerfully missing the point of hiding someone from address lists... But hey, Delve is all about finding stuff, so maybe you should just consider this as another way of finding information you didn't know about before!