SOLVED

Reference to database and/or server name in 'Azure.dbo.XXX' is not supported in this version of SQL

Copper Contributor

I am getting an error that seemingly indicates that I'm trying to use linked server or cross-database query when I am in no way trying to.

I've opened a stackexchange question w/ full details but no one has seen this scenario.

Reference to database and/or server name in 'Azure.dbo.XXX' is not supported in this version of SQL Server

(where XXX is my table name)

See full details on StackExchange but basically I can SELECT, INSERT, and UPDATE to this particular table but cannot DELETE from it.  When I try to run a DELETE statement, I receive the error above.

Have tried disabling TRIGGERs, have tried various combinations of schema/database/tablename in the FROM clause.

Pulling my hair out here.

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Robert Tigwell (Copper Contributor)
Solution

David from MSDN forum put me on the right track:

1. See what CASCADE DELETE FK constraints there are
  2. Inspect other table(s)
  3. See trigger on table with 3 part name in FROM clause
  4. Correct to 2 part name
  5. Dance

To see if there are FK relationships w/ DELETE CASCADE:

select * from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS where DELETE_RULE ='CASCADE'

Hi Robert, thank you for posting the solution! I'm sure other users will have the same question. 

Msg 40515, Level 15, State 1, Line 16
Reference to database and/or server name in 'Source.dbo.kiran' is not supported in this version of SQL Server.

Please solve it 

Hi all,

I (still) have the same issue when using BCP.EXE. Locally, it works:

bcp "select * from myDB.dbo.myTable" queryout mytable.csv -S ServerName -c -T

When executing the same against SQL Azure, the following error results:

Error = [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Reference to database and/or server name in 'myDB.dbo.myTable' is not supported in this version of SQL Server.

Hope, this will be possible in near future...? Thx.

Hi Tony,

I ran into the same issue using the bcp utility.  I discovered there is another flag which may be used to specify the database: -d MyDatabaseName.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Robert Tigwell (Copper Contributor)
Solution

David from MSDN forum put me on the right track:

1. See what CASCADE DELETE FK constraints there are
  2. Inspect other table(s)
  3. See trigger on table with 3 part name in FROM clause
  4. Correct to 2 part name
  5. Dance

To see if there are FK relationships w/ DELETE CASCADE:

select * from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS where DELETE_RULE ='CASCADE'

View solution in original post