SOLVED

Making Microsoft and Microsoft technologies related events more inclusive

Brass Contributor

As a women group co-organizer, I am constantly concerned that my events and all event I support and promote from Microsoft side are not inclusive enough from a gender diversity perspective.

I have had the conversation with one of our co-organizers recently. She is a full time working in IT mum with two kids. She is a great professional, an exceptional presenter, potentially great MVP material with her knowledge and passion for technologies and teaching. The only "small" problem she's got for the moment is a spare time. Which she's not got at all.

I appreciate it's a common issue. Which doesn't mean we shouldn't try to improve the situation and try to enable more working women with families and kids to participate and run community events.

We came up with the plan. First of all, we will be running more virtual events. Although, I don't believe they can replace live events and provide the same level of he engagement and energy exchange. Live events are incredibly powerful that's why we run them.

There some notes taken which I am happy to share with you, below:

Face to face free events for women - best times
For a good turn out face to face, some options for the best times to run free events to attract more women & career mum attendees participants:

Breakfast - Tues, Wed (highest turn out), Thurs or Friday
Day time - lunch, Wed or Thurs 12 for 12.30-2pm
Evening - Wed & Thurs evenings from 5.30/6pm to 7.30/8pm

1st, 2nd or 3rd week of the month on a Wed or Thurs night time works well

When setting dates for free events, try to avoid these times where possible
Mondays and Tues evening - a lower turn out for free events early in the week.
Avoid Friday evenings, unless it is a social event.
Avoid school holidays if you want parents to attend as they may be away (i.e. you were away in July and same in Oct)
Avoid Dec/Jan and Easter holidays as many people are have lots of other christmas functions to attend or on AL (unless we are hosting a xmas party)

Note: If parents have kids in private schools, the kids' last week of school is the Thursday the 1st week in Dec. For both public and private schools there are often school presentation nights and functions to attend in the evenings on the last week of Nov and 1st week in Dec on the Tues, Wed or Thurs evenings, depending on the schools.

Also, @Sonia Cuff ,  @Cathy Moya as passionate leaders of the community could you please assist with starting conversations regarding organizing kids care facilities for big Microsoft events running at weekends. Most of community events don't cover it either (including my own). Where do I start? Who do I talk to about this?

Please let me know your thoughts. Do you agree/disagree we need to look at the issue? Any other suggestions regarding the topic?  Working mums - community leaders, could you please share your tips and tricks? How do you manage everything? 

Thank you very much!

6 Replies

I think this is a great conversation topic! I was stunned, and thrilled, to see Microsoft Ignite offering child care. @ShonaBang , do you know anyone who could talk about the decision and logistics involved in the MS Ignite childcare? 

best response confirmed by PaulaSillars (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi Cathy,
Thank you very much for the reply.
I am happy that we started doing it at Microsoft Ignite. Also, my last year lesson learnt is to move slow and be patient. I'm very patient so if we could make Sydney Ignite childcare happen in February with the advertising it prior to the event would be good enough for the start. It would be something we could set as an example.
Is this something we could also try to discuss at our WomenInTech call?
Thank you very much again.
Cheers,
Olena
I really wanted to tell you what we are are doing this year. To show that it's not just talking.
We organise a family-friendly event as a part of the Power Platform Saturday conference. With 2 streams for kids and teens: https://lnkd.in/f_XS9Kq

If it is going to be enough people registered... we will even have our child care.
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/olenagrischenko_powerplatform-powerautomate-dynamics365ce-activity-66...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PaulaSillars (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Hi Cathy,
Thank you very much for the reply.
I am happy that we started doing it at Microsoft Ignite. Also, my last year lesson learnt is to move slow and be patient. I'm very patient so if we could make Sydney Ignite childcare happen in February with the advertising it prior to the event would be good enough for the start. It would be something we could set as an example.
Is this something we could also try to discuss at our WomenInTech call?
Thank you very much again.
Cheers,
Olena

View solution in original post