SOLVED

Class Notebook and Classroom

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I have started using MS Classroom, and the Class Notebooks created from within the Clasroom app. When I open the Notebook in OneNote and try using the Class Notebook tools, the classes are not listed and so cannot be used with the add in. I love the power of the desktop tools, and can't always rely on the online version which is nowhere near as powerful. Does anyone have the same issue, or a way of dealing with this issue? 

4 Replies

We are having the same issue.

If you opened the Class Notebook for the class in OneNote, what classes are you hoping to see in the notebook?

@Nick Major wrote:

"When I open the Notebook in OneNote and try using the Class Notebook tools, the classes are not listed "

best response confirmed by Marius Pretorius (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Are you mapping the Class Notebooks to the source of your class lists (such as an LMS or Classroom)?

I know these steps are essential for getting Classroom and Class Notebook to "play nice" in the district I work with.  When I first started learning how to use Class Notebook, this step was not clearly indicated at first, and was discovered via trial and error and another user in the district.

I would share screenshots, but unfortunately I am on a different machine (Mac) without Class Notebook installed.  If you are interested, I can try to share them tomorrow.

Mae

Mae Isaacs has the best response. You have to perform two steps to link your OneNote Notebooks with a particular class.

1. You have to connect to Ms Classroom as your LMS. There is a "Connections" button on the Class Notebook ribbon in OneNote 2016. (There is a Class Notebook Addin/App you have to install first if you haven't done it yet.)
  2. (This step may be unnecessary in your case) Map the Notebook to the class. Under "Connections" there is a button "Map Class Notebooks" This is actually only necessary when you have created the OneNote Notebook in another way, e.g. using the Class Notebook app. Since you have created it from inside of Classroom, this should not be necessary.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Marius Pretorius (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Are you mapping the Class Notebooks to the source of your class lists (such as an LMS or Classroom)?

I know these steps are essential for getting Classroom and Class Notebook to "play nice" in the district I work with.  When I first started learning how to use Class Notebook, this step was not clearly indicated at first, and was discovered via trial and error and another user in the district.

I would share screenshots, but unfortunately I am on a different machine (Mac) without Class Notebook installed.  If you are interested, I can try to share them tomorrow.

Mae

View solution in original post