SOLVED

Sparkline Graph from Two Axis

Copper Contributor

I am a complete newbie and I have been looking up resources to help me create a simple line graph. I have tried Excel exposure, various videos, and yet those didn't help with the problem I am having.

Everytime I highlight the two columns, it puts both of them in one axis. I can't seem to fix this. Any advice would be much appreicated. I am trying to make column A the x-axis and column B the y-axis.

File attached in text document. I can't seem to upload the actual Excel file to the browse tab.

3 Replies

Hello,

a Scatter Chart (XY-Chart) can display your values on the X and Y-Axes. I attached a sample file with two sample scatter charts (variations) in it. This article Present your data in a scatter chart or a line chart explains the differences between a line and scatter chart.

Best,

Mourad

Thanks, I have read the article and looked at your graph. I can't figure out how did you seperate the data into column A and column B. When I extract the text file into excel, it all goes into one column.

best response confirmed by Carlins Almonor (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello,

I used the legacy text file import assistant for getting the data into the Excel sheet. The steps...

1. From the ribbon, call Data / Get External Data / From Text and open the text file.
  2. In first step of the text wizard assistant, choose Delimited and click on Next.
  3. In the second step of the wizard activate the checkbox Space, as the delimiters is a space in the text file.
  4. The preview of the wizard shows you a vertical line between the values froms the columns.
  5. Goto the next step of the wizard.
  6. If your system has a dot as decimal separator, you don't need to do anything in the third step.
  7. My system is a German one, so I had to click on the Advanced button and invert the decimal and thousands separators
  8. Click on Finish in the wizard, choose a location on your sheet and click on Ok.
  9. You're done.

Best,

Mourad

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Carlins Almonor (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello,

I used the legacy text file import assistant for getting the data into the Excel sheet. The steps...

1. From the ribbon, call Data / Get External Data / From Text and open the text file.
  2. In first step of the text wizard assistant, choose Delimited and click on Next.
  3. In the second step of the wizard activate the checkbox Space, as the delimiters is a space in the text file.
  4. The preview of the wizard shows you a vertical line between the values froms the columns.
  5. Goto the next step of the wizard.
  6. If your system has a dot as decimal separator, you don't need to do anything in the third step.
  7. My system is a German one, so I had to click on the Advanced button and invert the decimal and thousands separators
  8. Click on Finish in the wizard, choose a location on your sheet and click on Ok.
  9. You're done.

Best,

Mourad

View solution in original post