Run web queries

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to import data from web but I have problems to use it. I am using an Excel version of Microsoft 365 on Mac.

I have tried doing this without success:

1 st) Pate the url of the website from which I need the data on a word new document, leaving a few spaces.

2) I saved it as a .txt file and .txt file with the .ipy at the end of the name of the document. I saved it as MS or OS default (I've tried both). I saved it in the queries folder.  (In there, are 2 .iqy documents that I didn't create it).

3) I opened a new excel file. I went to the data toolbar > Get external data > Run web query.

It opened the Queries folder where appeared the file that I had created and these 2 files that I hadn't save it that I mentioned in 2. 

Here comes the problem: I can't select the files that I created. They are over there but they're impossible to select. Though I can select these 2 files and enter the data that are in it in my excel. But with my files, I just can't. 

Can someone help me with this?

2 Replies

@José María Seminara 

Hey Jose Maria,

you need to change your files, which contain the web-url into *.iqy. Excel only recognizes then that you are going to use a web query (and are not importing simple text files instead).

Hope, this helps.

I'm having a similar problem.

I'm trying to do a Power (Web) Query on Excel for Mac. 

I select the URL and I want to use to run the Query on and save it as an "iqy" file in my Queries Folder.

But when I go into Excel and execute Data/Get External Data/Run Web Query, my .iqy files are all greyed out and I can't select them.

Any idea on how to change this?

I have 2 Microsoft sample .iqy files in this folder which I can access, but these are just random samples put there by MS