SOLVED

Plot a graph with grand total data from pivot table

Brass Contributor

Hi

How can I make a graph showing total attendance (grand total) data from a pivot table, so I can show how total attendance changes over time?

Thanks

Untitled picture.png

5 Replies

Dave,

I can only guess: Remove the Date field from the columns area.

Hi Detlef

Thank you. Perhaps I am missing something, but if I want to plot x axis dates, and y axis total number of attendees, wouldn't I need the dates in the pivot table?

Dave,

maybe I got it wrong. It's difficult understand from a photo.

Please provide a sample workbook.

best response confirmed by Dave Belcher (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi Detlef

Thanks.

I have found a fix to the issue. If you insert pivot table chart it wont let you select total rows.

But if you go to insert tab, and insert only 'normal' chart, you can modify your data to be the rows you want, e.g. dates and count of students as I wanted.

So the answer is, don't bother with a pivot chart. Although I am not sure what the difference is between the two types of chart. 

@Dave Belcher 

Hello Dave,

I am new to Excel and I am learning pivot tables for the first time! I google searched how to create a pie chart from my grand total in a pivot table out of curiosity and I got even more confused about what to do. Maybe Excel has changed since this post was active but I couldn't figure it out.

Eventually, I realized that I could just copy the grand total row and then just paste it below the pivot table and create a pie chart out of that! So if anyone is looking for this solution then I hope this helps!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dave Belcher (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi Detlef

Thanks.

I have found a fix to the issue. If you insert pivot table chart it wont let you select total rows.

But if you go to insert tab, and insert only 'normal' chart, you can modify your data to be the rows you want, e.g. dates and count of students as I wanted.

So the answer is, don't bother with a pivot chart. Although I am not sure what the difference is between the two types of chart. 

View solution in original post